Author Topic: Help finding mother’s adoption records from 1945  (Read 7800 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding mother’s adoption records from 1945
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 04:28 BST (UK) »
When you say "grandmother', are you referring to the lady that adopted your mother, or at least who your mother said  adopted her? (Thinking if there is some doubt about adoption, we can search her, and possible find a birth certificate for any children she had).

Offline tomara1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 04:37 BST (UK) »
Yes, I mean the lady who raised my mum.  Where would be the best place to search something like that? I have spent money to access Ancestry a couple of times in previous years but found it quite useless as far as tracking anything to do with Mum. All I could find was her marriage to my Dad, and the births of myself and two sisters. That was all information I already knew.
Thanks

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 04:55 BST (UK) »
You wouldn't find a lot on your Mum as the info would be "too new".  I was thinking of the Grandmother, but again, it would depend on her birth year as to how much could be found.

Right now you have your hands full with the great advice from JM.  However, if you ever do want to check out Grandmother, just revive this post with her maiden/married name, age, and where she came from.  :)

(And if you ever need to get your brother a gift, get him a DNA test kit!  Hopefully that would get him interested in family history and solve the mystery!)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 06:15 BST (UK) »
I have also asked Mum’s brothers two children if they recall him saying anything about Mum’s adoption. He is her brother from her adopted fathers first marriage (wife passed away at a young age), and he was 20 years older than Mum so surely would have known the story, but whether he told his kids is another thing.

The more I think about it, the more I think that as well as following JM's suggestions, perhaps you should get a DNA test on Mum and the children of her brother.   If there is a common line, (as in adoptive father is real father), it might solve a lot of issues.  This of course could only happen if the two children agree to it.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out the results; Rootschat has a whole section on Ancestral DNA with people that understand all that stuff!  In fact, if you do decide to go this route, I would look around the forum to see what "brand" is best, etc.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/ancestral-family-tree-dna-testing/

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 06:36 BST (UK) »
As your grandmother is dead, could you give her name(s) and birth and death, please?

Just to see if your experience of Ancestry can be improved.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 06:42 BST (UK) »
As your grandmother is dead, could you give her name(s) and birth and death, please?

Just to see if your experience of Ancestry can be improved.

I would hesitate,  afterall Grandmother's daughter is alive, and vulnerable and living in Australia, where we do need to respect her lawful expectation to privacy of the individual.  That privacy includes protecting her identifying info, - her name, her parents' names, etc.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 07:17 BST (UK) »
The grandmother is dead.

We frequently work with people with living relatives, but look just at the information on the dead ones.

If anyone with possibly still living children is not allowed, then someone born in 1870 who gave birth in 1915, or born 1860 who fathered a child in 1915, and that child was still alive, would not be allowed.

Offline tomara1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 12:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks chemoat and JM for your concerns here. I have given this a lot of thought and I feel like I will never make any headway if I don’t offer up some information. Given my grandmother is dead and my Mum has married several times, I don’t really think there would be any way to link the two of them and expose Mum to anything untoward. I hope I am correct, but before I go ahead and post the information here , I wonder if there is any way to do it as a private message so that the whole world can’t see it?  If not, I will post here.
Thanks

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 21:13 BST (UK) »
You can private message people, but then you are not getting the power of people working together.

Probably someone has already contacted you?