Author Topic: Lonely Hearts - Matrimonial Clubs & Leagues research.  (Read 382 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Lonely Hearts - Matrimonial Clubs & Leagues research.
« on: Sunday 19 May 19 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hello board.

Last Wednesday evening, aware of historic introduction agencies, but not of the status [formal or otherwise] of ‘Lonely Hearts’ groups in NZ, I turned to Papers Past, and Archway, to see what I could learn, before going to bed.

Based upon what I found, I added my 2 cents worth to the thread discussion, started by Minniehaha. "A 1930's Scam"

Today I was about to bin my scribbled notes, and a few press clippings I had seen fit to save, but then decided to save them all collectively in a bulletin. I might want to refer to it in the future.

It is laid out as five A4 sized double column pages, in WORD, and I’m happy to make free emailed copies available, if contacted by PM.

The first clip in the NZ press I could find was 1874, and covers a selection of NZ press reports of the development of such clubs, in the UK, Europe and USA. To post WWI.

A 1922 French one is notable by welcoming girls of 15 yrs 3 months and boys over 18 yrs to join.

Alan.

Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.