Author Topic: Marriage Bond money?  (Read 604 times)

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
Marriage Bond money?
« on: Sunday 19 May 19 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hello
Can someone enlighten me as to why a marriage bond was taken in such a large amount of money? Was this a form of dowry or compensation?

I have on a court document, the following mentioned by defendant John Nichols about the 2nd wife of Thomas Dudley, Vintner and Citizen of London  - ''Defendant Lucretia Dudley who was worth £1,000 and more at the time of her marriage to Thomas Dudley, when she was married to Thomas Dudley, who therefore did agree with her and her friends on her behalf before his marriage to her that if lucretia did survive thomas, he would leave and pay her £900 and if she died before him an amount not exceeding £300 as she write her will.''

''The said Thomas Dudley, together with his son and heir apparent Henry Dudley and John Scattergood, Citizen and Vintner of London did by their bond bearing the date 1653 become bound unto one William Newbould and John and Robert Nichols who are named trustees on her behalf to the sum of £1,200 conditioned to the said clause above''

In 1653, £1,000 was a very large sum of money, why would lucretia be worth this much? and for Thomas to have to leave a very large sum of £900. When this bond was signed would Thomas have to have paid the bond in full?

I dont know much about Lucretia but I think she was bapt Nichols/Nicholson. She was previously married to James Hedges, Gentleman of Witney, Oxfordshire. He died in 1653 and this bond was enacted the same year.
I cant see record of this marriage anywhere.
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Bond money?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 May 19 19:01 BST (UK) »
My thoughts are that Lucretia was a rich widow, on her marriage to Thomas Dudley her inheritance would become the property of her husband.

The agreement is that if Thomas dies before her she will get her money back, rather than him leave it in his wiil to his children.

Mike

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Bond money?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 10:22 BST (UK) »
Sorry, forgot to reply.
I've received some more documents from the national archives.
You've hit the nail on the head there.

It seems Lucretia was left most of James Hedges estate when he died which was about £1000-£1200 in inheritance/dower.

If Thomas wanted to marry Lucretia he had to be bound to leave her £900 if he died before her as her £1000-£1200 dowry became part of his estate when he married her.

I need to read Thomas's will again but I dont remember him leaving a specific amount to lucretia.

There is a court case in 1660 where Thomas's sons are against lucretia and others including Thomas's servant for apparently breaking into Thomas's coffers and house at his death and taking great sums of money, plate and jewels so this may have something to do with the earlier bond.
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent