Author Topic: Emigration  (Read 527 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 02:32 BST (UK) »

Sussanna GRIST, a visitor, unmarried, aged 30, no occupation mentioned, born Norton St Phillip, Somerset in the household of William and Elizabeth GRIST, Pound Farm,  Hemington, Somerset 1861.  No mention of any children to this Sussanna GRIST.  William C GRIST is aged 49, and Elizabeth is aged 36, so not Sussanna’s mum, but William could well be her dad.    He has a farm of 48 acres, 2 men and 1 boy, William born Norton St Phillips, Somerset.

There is a 15 year old son, John GRIST in that household :

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7FM-D6K

JM   

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 

Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.

Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 02:40 BST (UK) »

Was GRIST her birth surname?   Do you have the birth places for each of your direct line back to this G G Gran? 

In which country did her child who was your great grandparent die?

JM

Grist was the birth surname for Susannah and I have all the birth places for the line back to her which were either Somerset or Wiltshire.  Frederick Grist died in Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire in 1925.

Ros
adding : probably not your GG grandmother if she married and had children or was the child illegitimate?   What the name of her child from whom you are descended?

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 

Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.

Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 02:53 BST (UK) »
The National Probate Calendar Index has Frederick GRIST death as Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire, 15 December 1925.  Probate to his widow, Alice GRIST.

The free bmd website has the death indexed December 1925 quarter, and as Frederick J GRIST, aged 67, registered Bradford on Avon District GRO 5a/136.

1925 – 67 = birth 1857-1859, so Frederick should be in the 1861 Census.    I have not looked for his birth, as I am sure our OP already has all those details.

JM

Offline grahamila

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for your reples so far.
I am descended from Frederick Grist.
The half brother who emigrated to Australia was John Grist (1818-1906) who married Elizabeth Finch (1818-1901) in 1849 which was around the time he emigrated.  They had 7 children, George William, Margaretta Jean, Clara Henrietta, Sarah Harriet, Mary Ann Grace, Emily Jane and William Robert John.
Graham

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 02:12 BST (UK) »
1849 … so that would likely be a marriage for John GRIST and Elizabeth FINCH in New South Wales. 

Does the 1862 NSW birth certificate (OR official transcription) for William R J , registered Bathurst district with parents as John and Elizabeth GRIST,  give you confirmation of the age and birth place for John as well as details of all of William’s older siblings info?  Does it mention the midwife? Often a family member in that era, particularly in rural districts.

This newspaper cutting  has John Grist as aged 87 and an old resident of Bathurst (NSW) when he died early 1906.  https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/164045589

National Advocate, Bathurst NSW 25 Jan 1906 has his obit, no mention of  any sister .https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/157297355

Here is a live link to the Bathurst Cemetery and there are four sections for the database which includes many without headstones.  I cannot find GRIST mentioned there.  https://www.bathurst.nsw.gov.au/research/bathurst-cemetery-index.html

Here is a live link to the Peel Cemetery, on the road to Sofala.  (as per the Obit, this is where John GRIST was buried – C of E )   http://austcemindex.com/cemetery?cemid=75   

Bathurst Regional Council is now responsible for the Peel Cemetery so perhaps you could check with them by email re any existing list of interments there … in case your G G Grandmother had come to NSW https://www.bathurst.nsw.gov.au/

I have not found ANY mention of any Sussanah GRIST in my own fairly extensive offline resources for Bathurst and surrounds.    Here is a live link to the local family history group and their CD which has SIX mentions for GRIST in the pioneers.
https://www.bathurstfhg.asn.au/bathurst-pioneers/index-of-surnames/

Oops, ADD (forgot to include the following)

NSW electoral roll 1902 MACQUARIE, polling at Peel (143 electors at Peel)
GRIST
Emily Jane, of Peel, domestic duties
John, of Clear Creek, farmer
William Robert, of Clear Creek, labourer

I read through the roll for Peel,  NONE with given name of Susan, Sussanah or any variation.  1902 was first time females were eligible to enrol.

JM

Offline grahamila

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 12:00 BST (UK) »
majm
Many thanks for your reply.  I have not had dealings with Australia before so can you tell me if it is possible to obtain copies of BMD certificates?
Graham