Author Topic: DNA - In 1859, who got my GG Grannie into trouble?  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: DNA - In 1859, who got my GG Grannie into trouble?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 May 19 15:42 BST (UK) »
Craclyn, roughly where are you?  My top match to Tudhoe is now in New Zealand.  My great grandmother (b1860)'s probable father emigrated there in 1878.  That is literally as far as it gets.

Martin

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 May 19 17:34 BST (UK) »
Craclyn, you suggested that I use the "What are the odds" tool to try and work out about the Harrison relationships. Last time I used "What are the odds", it was a table which gave you the likelihood, based on a certain number of centiMorgans, as to what your likely relationship would be.  You just looked along the top and down the side and followed it across to the table.  That's what I said I had done, with a saved version, earlier in this thread.

I've just had a look at it, and it has been totally redesigned into a graphic interface and it is absolutely incredible.

https://dnapainter.com/tools

I haven't quite managed to get it to work right yet.  I attach my work in progress, turned sideways for easier viewing.  (!?!?)

Martin

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 May 19 18:07 BST (UK) »
Yes, WATO is now much more interactive. Can be quite useful to test out different hypotheses.

I am in Northumberland. I will send you a private message.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 May 19 18:08 BST (UK) »
Martin, I haven't used this new version of WATO either.

I put in my latest conundrum, a probable 1st cousin once removed, previously unknown. He also matches a cousin of mine, and there are 3 physical possibilities for the father, DNAPainter indicates 2 possibilities. According to WATO there is only one possibility, though I disagree.

It indicates that we are all 1st cousins once removed, descended from 3 different brothers, but it excludes the possibility completely that my cousin could be his half aunt.
According to DNAPainter this(593 cMs) is a possibility of 21.11%.

So it isn't fully reliable perhaps for half relationships, but that doesn't apply to you.
I notice you haven't set anybody as the target, which is why you may be having problems.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 May 19 22:28 BST (UK) »
I too have a 2x great grandmother who had extra-marital relations! I've known for a long time that my great-grandfather was illegitimate, both from family stories and from the absence of a father's name on his birth certificate.

Having done my Ancestry DNA test almost 2 years ago I now have a number of matches which are at least hinting at his parentage. Four matches all form part of the same tree, whose common ancestor, Joel, emigrated to the USA in 1869 from the town of Huddersfield here in the UK. My great-grandfather was born in Huddersfield in late 1869. The cM values of my shared matches are all consistent with them being half third cousins, and therefore Joel being my 2x great-grandfather. Did Joel get my 2x great-grandmother pregnant, then leave the country? It's certainly possible.

I have three other matches that link to this same family group (all in the USA), although I've yet to work out where. All routes lead back to Huddersfield however!
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 June 19 11:12 BST (UK) »
I have an update to my original posting at the top.

I refer you to that, and the accompanying diagram. You will see that James had several children, Mary, Francis, George, and William. We have just discovered a new one, James Jr.  He had a daughter, who had a daughter, who had a new daughter, who we will call Daughter "P". She matches my cousin, Son "D" across 59 centiMorgans in two segments. Does this make things any easier to interpret?  I do not have a match figure for me against daughter "P.  Yet.

Thank you, Martin