Author Topic: Thornton-le-Moors Graveyard; find a grave photo hard to read  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Hermit73

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ancestry tree 'Bellingham-Plank-Andrews-Evans'
    • View Profile
Thornton-le-Moors Graveyard; find a grave photo hard to read
« on: Monday 20 May 19 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I'm looking for some advice about how to get the info from a hard to read early 1800s gravestone photo on findagrave. I'm sure some of it is worn with age, but the issue is mostly the angle of the photo and the fact it's covered in lichen (the stone is flat on the ground). If someone is local to Thornton-le-Moors, or if they know what steps I should take, short of going there myself with paper and crayon, please help. How do I go about getting someone to help me transcribe it; is it rude to contact the FaG contributor and ask for a better pic? They have detailed 2 names from the stone (and they've also added the woman's birth name). I added another name that I could see, and confirmed with burial record & baptism. I think I know most of the names/dates that should also be on the stone, going by burial records, and I'm now imagining that I can see them, after staring at it close up for ages, lol!
SCOTLAND:  Ferguson, Livingston, Henderson, Stanners, Dougal, Milne, Andrew, Robertson, Duncan, McVinish, Goodall, Laird, Eadie, Ballingham, Bonthrone, Mitchell, Templeton, Donald, Scott, Russell, Towers, Henry, Bell, McLennan, MacKenzie, Leishman, Wilson, Pryde, Galloway, Fortune, Main, Marshall, Denovan.
ENGLAND: Evans, Lloyd, Sudlow, Wright, Moore, Baylis, Parton, Sainsbury, Plank, Jones, France, Eddie.
IRELAND: Bellingham, Hunter,Keenan, Russel,Coulter, Coyle, Pritchard.
WALES: Jones,Evans.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thornton-le-Moors Graveyard; find a grave photo hard to read
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 May 19 00:46 BST (UK) »
You can request photos of the names that should be there, but unless you know the plot numbers they can be a beggar to locate.

From what ive done, id expect gravestones or inscriptions  to represent at most 40% of the bodies interred.

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2577403/st.-mary's-churchyard is it this one?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Hermit73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 May 19 01:38 BST (UK) »
From what ive done, id expect gravestones or inscriptions  to represent at most 40% of the bodies interred.

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2577403/st.-mary's-churchyard is it this one?

That's the one Pauline. The stone is: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/147985215/elizabeth-sudlow
SCOTLAND:  Ferguson, Livingston, Henderson, Stanners, Dougal, Milne, Andrew, Robertson, Duncan, McVinish, Goodall, Laird, Eadie, Ballingham, Bonthrone, Mitchell, Templeton, Donald, Scott, Russell, Towers, Henry, Bell, McLennan, MacKenzie, Leishman, Wilson, Pryde, Galloway, Fortune, Main, Marshall, Denovan.
ENGLAND: Evans, Lloyd, Sudlow, Wright, Moore, Baylis, Parton, Sainsbury, Plank, Jones, France, Eddie.

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 May 19 10:10 BST (UK) »
If you have any idea where it is in the cemetery, I should be able to visit and try and read.
(1) Janions of Cheshire, Lancashire, Hawaii, Vancouver and Seattle.
(2) Gregorys of Tarporley, Cheshire.
(3) Pughs of 'The New Pale' near Frodsham and Delamere in Cheshire.
(4) Nevills of Llanelly, Llangennech and Felinfoel.
(5) Yaldens of Ovington/Lovington in Hampshire.

Offline Hermit73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 May 19 15:29 BST (UK) »
If you have any idea where it is in the cemetery, I should be able to visit and try and read.
That would be brilliant!... however I can't see any plot number on findagrave. Looking at the graveyard on satellite map there are quite a lot of similar stones near the church building . BUT, I reckon it's got to be around the front (S-SE of church). I can see where I think it is. 2 stones close together, SE of the church doors, that look a good match GPS@ 53.265012, -2.838262 . I wish I could attach a screengrab here! I'll try messaging the original photographer, but it was 4 years ago the image was added. Looks like a lovely place, wish I could get there myself! I will one day!

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 May 19 21:27 BST (UK) »
Given there are two slightly raised slabs next to each other and then a table-top tomb above right, that should limit the possible spots. I will try and get there this weekend unless somebody beats me to it.

Offline Hermit73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 May 19 22:44 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, SiGr!!

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi, it is done. I have uploaded to www.findagrave.com with photos and a transcription. All necessary changes there are almost complete but a couple are outstanding, such as wrong parents (caused by previous mis-reading of the inscription). I have messaged the profile owner so it is over to them to action. There might be a subsequent change to make as well. In the meantime, the transcription on www.findagrave.com tells you exactly who is there and how they are related. Meanwhile, the grave to the right of the one you requested is also a Sudlow. Unfortunately, I ran out of water to clean it to be able to read. If you want that one transcribing, let me know and in due course I will go back. PS if you own Joseph's profile, feel free to message me on here and I'll tell you what changes need doing.

Offline Hermit73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 19:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Si, for your fantastic additions to findagrave! I'm looking at Joseph Sudlow's page now. I do own that one. I had managed to make out a little bit of the transcription, and combined with burial records I had it pegged to be Richard and Esther (Foden). The stone cleaned up a lot better than I thought it would! I'll be in touch about the other stone. Thanks again!