Author Topic: is ancestry .com worth my trouble?  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Dancing Bear

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
is ancestry .com worth my trouble?
« on: Tuesday 16 August 05 05:40 BST (UK) »
I am a first born Australian searching for my English Ancestors and I am relatively new to this geneology "addiction".
i have been searching for the past 7 months and have found this site the absolute best!!!!!!
My question is what would be the best site for looking up the Census's. I know i can ask on this one for requests, but where can i go on the net where i can look for myself and help others in their search, like you all do for me.
 Most of my ancestors are English I may have to venture into scotland and ireland when i get into the early 1800's and further back. But majoprity of them are in England.
I would rather pay a one off sum rather than paying for each and every look up.
Can anyone help me? 
Dancing Bear  :)
London, Northumberland, Scotland, Devon so far

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: is ancestry .com worth my trouble?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Dancing Bear

I use Ancestry.co.uk but also have access to Ancestry.com through Family Tree Maker. I prefer the uk site because it doesn't have the reams of American data that always seems to come up on .com. I have used the original images for the census data many times plus some of the other info.

There is also alot of free data on the web, Free BMD, Free Cen and of course Family Search which I used constantly when I first started a year ago.

I am sure you will get many different answers.

Best of luck. If you have anyone in Nottingham please contact me for help.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Dancing Bear

ancestry.co.uk would be the most comprehensive site for the census of England and Wales with 1861-1901 available now and 1851 supposedly by the end of this year.  It's about £70 per year though there is a special offer on at the moment via one of the family history magazines:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,76855.0.html

Casalguidi

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hi dancing bear,
There is a 14 day free trial on ancestry co uk's site . You could sign up for that to see if you personally think it's worth taking out a  quarterly or yearly subscription with them before you part with any  of your money. If you think it's no good you can  cancel the subscription before the 14 days are up.

I've got the yearly subscription with them -  is it worth it to me? It is expensive at 69.95 pounds ( no pound sign on the keyboard), but I think I've  had my money's worth with the censuses on there.  I don't know if I will be taking out another year's subscription when mine has expired, but  that's only because I've  almost exhausted the census years with my lines.

:)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 15:19 BST (UK) »

Try asking at your local LDS centre first of all if you can access Ancestry (for Census) from there (free-of-charge).

Save all your dollars for the UKorigins and BMD index sites!.  Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Dancing Bear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 August 05 01:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help, I'll give the 14 day free trial a go,  My local LDS centre, is a 2 hour drive away, Thankyou for your help.
Dancing Bear

p.s.  Does Ancestry give you access to all available census's?

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 August 05 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hiya Dancing Bear

You can get the 1861 - 1901 on Ancestry and I find it really useful (especially for chasing down the female line when you look them up on BMD then have to chase them down under both male names listed)

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline baseballady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 August 05 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Dancing Bear,
I use Ancestry.com and I love it, yes it is expensive but I found something I needed on it almost everyday. Have you tried looking on the census under www.rootsweb.com, or www.familysearch.com, or Cyndi's list www.cyndislist.com they might help you.

Offline Dancing Bear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 August 05 08:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone
I got a subscription to Ancestry.co.uk for 3 months. i thought i would know whether i wanted to continue using it at the end of 3 months or not.
Its helped a lot so far.
Thankyou again!!!
Dancing Bear