Author Topic: STORRINGS (nee KIDD), Barbara Flora McDonald - died 1996  (Read 3217 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: STORRINGS (nee KIDD), Barbara Flora McDonald - died 1996
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 23 May 19 08:22 BST (UK) »
Ok, thanks for that!  :)

Seaton Smithy may have already seen it, but just so it doesn't hide on me again, found the link:

https://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=andx1647&id=I2288

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 23 May 19 08:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry just reread and this is indeed the George Smythy is looking for according to the family tree as I suggested if you contact the owner of the website he maybe able to confirm how they have these parents for George

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 23 May 19 10:18 BST (UK) »
They have an Andrew Kidd and Harriet McDonald a son George was born to this family in 1856 Skene Aberdeenshire the website also states George emigrated 1880

These are the details that I believe to be correct - but I cannot see those details on the Doig site or the RootsWeb site. I will try contacting the site owner.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 23 May 19 13:01 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to Barbara's family tree

http://www.doig.net/ANDX1647.html

And bBart posted a link to the family on Rootsweb in reply 18

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 23 May 19 13:44 BST (UK) »
And bBart posted a link to the family on Rootsweb in reply 18

Yes, and that has different details than in your reply 17.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 23 May 19 16:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry so it does must stop skim reading

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 23 May 19 19:55 BST (UK) »
Regarding my post #14, I have been able to get a large resolution picture of each document on my camera, so if you pm me an email address, I can send them.

After trawling around every site, I agree that this George was (probably) the one born 1856 to Andrew/Harriet.

When George married, whether his birth was Nov (per baptism) or Dec. (per death reg), he hadn't had his birthday yet that year, so he would have been born 1856.  He also says he was born in Kincardine, and it is highly possible that his mother had him at a sister/relatives home, but they actually lived in Aberdeen.  That could be a detail his children were not aware of when they filled out forms regarding him.

As for the Harriet/Elizabeth problem:  If you search Scotland's people for every McDonald in Duriss, (Duriss being the only consistent thing about her on the censuses; her age is not too consistent!), there is no Harriet, but there is an Elizabeth, born 1818.  1818 is pretty much in the middle of all the ages the censuses say.  She could have been baptised as Elizabeth, but went her whole life as Harriet. Perhaps her parents "renamed" her after baptism, which is not unheard of. 

MCDONALD
ELIZABETH
WILLIAM MCDONALD/ELSPET MCGREGOR
23/11/1818
256/10 188
Durris

George had older brothers;  maybe track them down for descendants for DNA, if that is what you are after?  Some of them appear to have vanished, but brother Alexander is not too hard to track.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 23 May 19 23:04 BST (UK) »
Regarding my post #14, I have been able to get a large resolution picture of each document on my camera, so if you pm me an email address, I can send them.

Thank you!  Message sent.

MCDONALD
ELIZABETH
WILLIAM MCDONALD/ELSPET MCGREGOR
23/11/1818
256/10 188
Durris

This is an interesting lead.  I'll look to see if there is any other evidence for this person.

George had older brothers;  maybe track them down for descendants for DNA, if that is what you are after?  Some of them appear to have vanished, but brother Alexander is not too hard to track.

Great suggestion - I do have two DNA matches to people I think are descendants of George from Skene's brothers James and Alexander.  There are issues with both of their trees, but I believe my variations to their information are defensible. I am building out the trees for all of George's siblings (sisters are equally as valid as brothers with autosomal DNA).

I think there are very good reasons to conclude that the George Kidd who marries in Montana in 1901 is the George Kidd born in Skene in 1856.

I am looking for a man likely to be in his early 20s purported to be named George Kidd, occupation Shepherd, who conceived a child in or near Cluny, Aberdeenshire in around July 1879.  None of the men named George Kidd on the 1881 Scotland census appear to be obvious candidates.

George from Skene is with his parents in Dyce in 1861 where his father dies in 1867.  In 1871 his mother is in Kinnellar but George is in Kintore living in a farm bothy with several other young men.  Kintore is not all that far from Cluny.  George appears to be entirely absent from Scotland by 1881.

The consistencies for George from Skene and George in Montana & British Columbia are father's  full name, mother's maiden surname and his age on his marriage record.

The inconsistencies are mother's given name (inconsistent twice), month of birth (November v December) and the places of his birth on his marriage record and of his mother's birth on his death record.

I am trying to find when George from Skene was baptised - if he wasn't baptised until December he may have mistakenly believed that is when he was born.

EDIT: I think a plausible explanation for the inconsistency of George's birth place on his marriage record is the order the questions were asked: Father's name? Mother's name? Place of birth? [Respondent walks away wondering why they wanted  to know where his mother was born.]

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 24 May 19 05:11 BST (UK) »
I meant to add - Harriet McDonald's 1874 death record says she was illegitimate and that her mother was also Harriet McDonald.