Author Topic: Lovely view but where?  (Read 4755 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lovely view but where?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 May 19 22:41 BST (UK) »
That might explain why we haven't seen it on our travels Skoosh, it certainly looks like you have found it! Thanks so much for taking the time to look, it's much appreciated  :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 May 19 23:04 BST (UK) »
I think it looks like a view NW of Brighton on the South Downs, looking west towards Chanctonbury Ring.

Martin

Online Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 06:07 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Sorry it all looks upside down to me. {NZ eyes}

Zoomed in at 300% and there are some features to the village, that might help recognition.

It's an autumn photo. Cultivated fields and several of grain crops with the reaped and sheaved cop stooked for final drying before harvesting.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 06:57 BST (UK) »
Sutton Bank was the site of the Battle of Old Byland in the Scottish Wars of Independence. The English thought they were secure on the top but Bruce, who of course was half a Yorkshire-man & knew the area well, attacked directly up the bank but sent the Argyll men to scale the cliffs to the right & get behind them. Game, set & match & a general rout. Edward II escaped out of a window at nearby Byland Abbey where he was probably dining on larks-tongues. Happy days!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 09:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for taking the time to look, it's much appreciated. Having looked at other suggestions I believe that Skoosh has found the closest match.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 10:26 BST (UK) »
Are you sure the image is for a British location?    Could it be from elsewhere?   

Bellbird Hill lookout, Bells Line of Roads,  Kurrajong, NSW, Australia.    I am old enough to remember the lookout before it was all done up... back in the 1950s and 1960s  ... looks out from a height over the floodplains of the Hawkesbury River, when the district down below was basically the food bowl for all of the Sydney metropolitan area. 

I can find the current lookout and carpark on google maps street view.   But I also remember the view from what is now referred to as Old Bells Line of Roads.   It seems its street address is currently 1186 Bells Line of Road, Kurrajong Heights, New South Wales 2758, Australia.

this link https://www.kurrajonghistory.org.au/trove.php?Ref=oai:kurrajonghistory.org.au:083110 may take you to an image from 1990. 

JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 11:34 BST (UK) »
I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but I can't see anywhere near Sutton Bank with both a church spire and a road with houses parallel to the line of the hill. In fact there are precious few places with just one of those features. I've been looking at OS maps backed up with image searches.

An alternative approach, which occurred to me: would anyone be able to identify any of the flowers in the foreground, and might they point to a particular type of soil?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 11:53 BST (UK) »
I used to go up and down Sutton Bank once a week and, although it's very similar, I don't think this is it. The hills are not quite the same, and I can't see either the village of Sutton-under-Whitestonecliff or the  town of Thirsk, which I would expect to see in that view. The village with the church spire is in a location where I wouldn't expect to see a village from Sutton Bank.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 11:55 BST (UK) »
Not a hill to tackle with a caravan Gadget!  ;D

Skoosh.

Definitely not. I've boiled my radiator on that hill more than once, in old cars, and I've also been stuck behind vehicles that gave up half way!