Author Topic: Lovely view but where?  (Read 4713 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lovely view but where?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 16:32 BST (UK) »
If it is in the Coaley area, the best match I can see for the church is Stinchcombe, but I'm not sure whether the immediate surrounds are quite right.

Otherwise the wider surrounds are certainly similar.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 16:53 BST (UK) »
I still think that Skoosh is correct.

Here's a pic of Vale of York

http://www.northyorks.com/View2.jpg

I still don't think so, but do see the similarity.  The hill on the left of your view is Hood Hill, which is immediately west of the cliff itself, and only a mile away from the viewpoint. The similar hill in the old photo is much further away, with a lot of agricultural fields and hedgerows between it and the viewpoint.

The information that it was found within a collection of Yorkshire photos is troublesome though, I have to admit!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 17:21 BST (UK) »
This is an old photo and agricultural landscapes do change over time.  I remember going back  a while ago to a rural area that I knew well in the 50s and the 'soft' landscape had changed significantly. Also, as you know,  the perspective and view point  alter the image.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 17:26 BST (UK) »
This is an old photo and agricultural landscapes do change over time.  I remember going back  a while ago to a rural area that I knew well in the 50s and the 'soft' landscape had changed significantly. Also, as you know,  the perspective and view point  alter the image.

All true, yes, and I'd be happy to be proved wrong. That spire on the church is another reason why I don't think it is Sutton Bank though - Sutton Under Whitestonecliff has no such church.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 19:18 BST (UK) »
Very interesting comments here...I did mention Yorkshire but also believe that could be a red herring so don't take that too literally. I wonder whether the "Church" could actually be a monument or War memorial as it does look rather narrow.
I am grateful for all the responses so far, and the time that you have all taken to help to solve this mystery image. There is WX written on the back but don't take that too seriously  :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 23 May 19 22:27 BST (UK) »
Doesn’t look like Sutton Bank to me - it’s not high enough and, anyway, the airfield is on the top of Sutton Bank and not at the bottom. Have a look at the middle ground and yiu can see the runway.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 24 May 19 22:50 BST (UK) »
These supposed poplar trees are a variant of Populus Niger & subject to disease, short lived thus.

Skoosh.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 31 May 19 14:16 BST (UK) »
Well we have just been to the Hay Festival in Hay on Wye and stayed at the Black Mountain View Caravan site in Clyro and the view from our caravan was very close to this photo!!!
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 31 May 19 14:19 BST (UK) »
Did you take a photo of the view, Carol?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***