Author Topic: Tablet for archive research?  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Tablet for archive research?
« on: Monday 20 May 19 20:45 BST (UK) »
I used to have a great little ASUS notebook that went all over the world with me. When it died of exhaustion, I tried to find something similar but technology had left notebooks behind and tablets were the thing. I bought a laptop instead.

Now I am finding it too heavy to lug it around everywhere especially as it needs charging after 1 and a 1/2 hours. The charger is a universal replacement and weighs a ton.

I run Windows 10 and FTM 2017 on my laptop so I would need something compatible. Also, I would like a keyboard with the tablet and a much longer battery charge.

Any ideas anyone?
P/S  I have a SamsungGalaxy mobile, my 4th!

Gen in NBL UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tablet for archive research?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 07:50 BST (UK) »
I don’t have a definitive answer to this question, but posting to bring it back up the list.

If you have an ancestry account I would just put the Ancestry app onto which ever device it suited you to have.

I’m sure FTM must have an android compatible app.  But I am fairly sure they do not have one for iPad.  So probably a Samsung Galaxy or something like that is worth looking at.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 07:56 BST (UK) »
I've just checked and Google Store has a version of FTM for Android.  I'm very happy with my Samsung Galaxy phone so I'd recommend a Galaxy tablet.

Added - just checked and the consumer evaluation site recommends  the Samsung Galaxy and Lenovo as the best android tablets.

You can also get Windows tablets but they are more expensive - Microsoft, Samsung  and HP
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 13:36 BST (UK) »
My preference is an ipad fitted into a case with a Logitech keyboard. I don't think there is an FTM app for the Apple platform, but I have never felt the need to look for one. I work in Ancestry when I am out and about then synchronise to FTM when I get home.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 13:42 BST (UK) »
App for iOS (ie ipad) is available - see here https://www.rootsmagic.com/app/
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 14:25 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure that you can run FTM on ipads. 

Gen List Lass's spec was:

I  run Windows 10 and FTM 2017 on my laptop so I would need something compatible

That was why I recommended the ones I did, as well as they are (according to the Which site) as good or better than the ipad.

Added - I've checked but have to run conversions.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 16:51 BST (UK) »
Correct Gadget, There is no way to run FTM on an ipad. My point was that you don’t actually need to. You can work on Ancestry on the ipad then synch to FTM on a Windows PC. I did this back in the days before I replaced my Windows laptop with a MacBook. I usually use the website rather than the Ancestry app when I am working on my ipad.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 17:25 BST (UK) »
It might help if GLL gives us some idea of the amount she wants to spend on it.

I keep my Microsoft machines for admin stuff and FH  and my Macs for images/art work  ;D

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 18:26 BST (UK) »
I have a Lenovo Yoga Book. It's like a mini laptop, in that it has an attached keyboard, but this can be folded back on itself to (effectively) be a tablet. Less than 1cm thick and weighs about 1.5kg, so nicely lighter than a laptop. Battery life is coming in around 10-11 hours, although obviously that would depend on what you are using it for (manual says "up to 15 hours"). Charges using a standard mini-USB cable (like a lot of phones).
My one is a Android version, but they do have a Windows 10 version, but that is a bit more expensive (have to pay Bill Gates' pension I suppose  ;))