Author Topic: Tablet for archive research?  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tablet for archive research?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 23 May 19 19:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that’s interesting. There was discussion about laptop v tablet but the tablet won by all accounts. Will be networked so guess the external hard drive won’t be an issue. Looking forward to the flexibility to work at home but the keyboard sounds like it might be a pain.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 23 May 19 19:33 BST (UK) »
In my view, the keyboard response and size is the only issue, everything else can be got round without being too annoying. I love the fact that it flips and has a touchscreen and is extremely light.

Years ago, I was given a keyboard for my iPad as a present, I don’t use it but it does respond well/better than the yoga book.
Jenny
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 23 May 19 20:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 24 May 19 01:18 BST (UK) »
I have a Lenovo Yoga Book. It's like a mini laptop, in that it has an attached keyboard, but this can be folded back on itself to (effectively) be a tablet. Less than 1cm thick and weighs about 1.5kg, so nicely lighter than a laptop. Battery life is coming in around 10-11 hours, although obviously that would depend on what you are using it for (manual says "up to 15 hours"). Charges using a standard mini-USB cable (like a lot of phones).
My one is a Android version, but they do have a Windows 10 version, but that is a bit more expensive (have to pay Bill Gates' pension I suppose  ;))

Do you like the Lenovo Yoga? We are likely to get them in work - by the end of the year -  instead of our current desktops for flexibility.

I too have an android version, I like it but the keyboard takes some getting used to.  I doubt they would be a good alternative to a desktop, I only use it for light stuff. Fast touch typing isn’t possible, I suggest you google the reviews on the model your company are looking at.  You can’t attach a portable hard drive and the micro connections means I have had to order new cables. In a work environment, I would suggest a laptop would be better, but it does depend on what they are going to be used for.  I wish I had waited a little bit, the W10 version is now cheaper than the android on the model I purchased...  Hopefully the newer models have some of the earlier issues ironed out.
Yoga is almost a "sub brand" of Lenovo. They have the Yoga Book, which is more like a tablet with an attached keyboard. Being like a tablet, they don't have a full size USB, so you need different cables (or an adaptor to convert). Yes the keyboard is an acquired taste. I get on OK with it and have got to a reasonable speed (well, my normal typing isn't too fast, so not saying much. LOL). In tablet or tent modes the screen keyboard can be used (it is a 10.1" touch screen). My one also has the drawing/note taking stylus, so I find it very useful or meeting or archive visits.

Yoga also is used as a laptop brand (which I bought previously - Yoga 500). It shares the multi-angle hinge (hence the Yoga name) and touchscreen. This has the usual laptop functionality and ports, so no need for other cables/adaptors. Also the usual screen sizes (I have 14.1")

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 24 May 19 07:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info. Will have to wait and see how it goes.

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 24 May 19 07:20 BST (UK) »
I was really keen on the Yoga until I read that the keyboard is slow.

The only thing I would be using this for would be to add data to my FTM at the archives, so maybe not the best option. Shame, all else sounds good.

Gen in NBL UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 24 May 19 07:47 BST (UK) »
The Windows 10 version of the Yoga book would work well at the archives, that is my regret for getting the Android version over of the W10 version. 

I don't think I type fast when I enter details in my family tree program and always check I have typed it in correct anyway.

I agree with RD, the keyboard is an acquired taste, like anything new, it just takes a little bit of practice.  ;D If you turn the keyboard back so that the screen looks like a normal tablet, you can type using the screen keyboard which works quite well.

I don't think there is anything else on the market that has the same flexibility yet, the Yoga book was well ahead of its time.

Jenny

Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 24 May 19 10:04 BST (UK) »
I have just ordered a Lenovo Yoga small laptop (Windows 10 version). I think it will suit all I need for the archives and overseas trips. ( I don't type all that fast so I think it will keep up with me:-)

Thank you everyone for all your help! Much appreciated.

Gen in NBL UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
UPDATE and COMPLETE Re: Tablet for archive research?
« Reply #26 on: Monday 03 June 19 10:30 BST (UK) »
I'm getting on well with my Lenovo Yoga 11e, its very similar to the ASUS notebook I had in size, keyboard etc. Maybe a little heavier but I don''t have to lug the charger  to the archives with me.

Now looking into syncing my 2 laptops  - just the genealogy stuff.

Gen in NBL UK