Author Topic: Two burials in one grave?  (Read 2607 times)

Offline Traysha

• RootsChat Member
  • Gd father John Smith
    • View Profile
Two burials in one grave?
« on: Monday 20 May 19 21:02 BST (UK) »
I wanted a pic of a grave at Epsom Cemetery and someone supplied the plot no on Find a Grave, so I asked some kind person to take one for me. She posted one of that grave number but it was the wrong name for me. However on Epsom burial website they are both buried at the same site. Don't know if the two people are connected but one is a kind of war memorial of someone who served in the CEF(Canadian Expeditionary Forces). The burial date given for the private is 1year before the one I'm interested in. Any thoughts. By the way there is no headstone for the latter.
Pugh  Bishops Castle
Burley Cradley Heath
Foley  Cradley Heath
Smith  Netherton

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Two burials in one grave?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 May 19 21:19 BST (UK) »
In many cemeteries, if the plot for the first burial wasn’t purchased, the same plot would be used for a future burial, often unrelated.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 16:51 BST (UK) »
A couple of times I've found a burial I wasn't expecting, in a "Family grave" - one proved to be the child of young neighbours of the family, in another a relative of the later( keep up) husband of a second wife, who had been widowed ...oddly enough the original husband was parked elsewhere??
You never know, there may be a connection turns up in time....
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 17:56 BST (UK) »
In many cemeteries, if the plot for the first burial wasn’t purchased, the same plot would be used for a future burial, often unrelated.

Yes, my Gt. Uncle (buried second, on top) shares a grave with a stranger.

My Gt Aunt was swayed by her Brother in grief, as it made the cost of the grave cheaper. However, my Gt Aunt who could have purchased a single grave for two in the Council Cemetery, deeply regretted the decision afterward, as she knew she couldn't be buried there. However, her ashes were let in the surface, as requested in her Will.

Unless, it is a Vault, or Family Grave, the Parish Church often buried the deceased with or just above the previous burial.

A couple of times I've found a burial I wasn't expecting, in a "Family grave" - one proved to be the child of young neighbours of the family, in another a relative of the later( keep up) husband of a second wife, who had been widowed ...oddly enough the original husband was parked elsewhere??
You never know, there may be a connection turns up in time....

Anything might turn up, in burial Records and on Memorials.

----------

Not everyone had a Headstone. Others have crumbled, been damaged and/or been removed.

Sometimes, the Headstone is left to the last family burial in the grave and the family alive then (if any), sometimes don't bother to purchase one, or cannot afford one.

----------

Traysha, have you checked to see whether they are distantly related?

Mark

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Would it be possible for you to send me a personal message with the name/names of the people, particularly the one who served in the CEF(Canadian Expeditionary Forces) ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Traysha

• RootsChat Member
  • Gd father John Smith
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 22:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your input but don't think the two are connected. Looks like the ex soldier was buried first, then mine, then a memorial erected to the private. Strange but the latters widow and daughter have a grave of their own.
Pugh  Bishops Castle
Burley Cradley Heath
Foley  Cradley Heath
Smith  Netherton

Offline Traysha

• RootsChat Member
  • Gd father John Smith
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 22:39 BST (UK) »
Sandra, can't send a pm as it says your inbox is full ;D ::)
Pugh  Bishops Castle
Burley Cradley Heath
Foley  Cradley Heath
Smith  Netherton

Offline Traysha

• RootsChat Member
  • Gd father John Smith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 23:06 BST (UK) »
Can't find my outbox to retrieve the pm.
Pugh  Bishops Castle
Burley Cradley Heath
Foley  Cradley Heath
Smith  Netherton

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 08:08 BST (UK) »
Can't find my outbox to retrieve the pm.

Go to https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=pm;f=inbox

And then there is a drop-down menu under "Messages" (grey box, LH side) to get to "sent Items"
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.