Author Topic: Photo believed to be Henry Cullimore 1828 -1897. Date wanted please  (Read 697 times)

Offline Steeple1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo believed to be Henry Cullimore 1828 -1897. Date wanted please
« on: Tuesday 21 May 19 06:11 BST (UK) »
Photo believed to be Henry Cullimore 1828 -1897. His father John was bn in GLS 1800 and died 1851 in MON. Can someone kindly confirm that from the clothing this photo is unlikely to be of John.   

Henry made a good match - into the Mansel Jones and Talbot (Port Talbot, Fox-Talbot) families.

Assuming this is Henry's photo, he was at the height of his prosperity having started as a mineral agent (coal merchant), then colliery viewer (mining surveyor), and manager of the Ystradgynlais Iron and Steel Works - but family tradition is that drink was his downfall. He died as a coal mine surface worker, killed by a truck that 'ran wild' (slipped its chocks). Newspaper reports of the sale of his furniture etc seem to confirm his former status.

The inquest is interesting in that one witness was untraceable, another couldn't recall anything.His father John was bn in GLS 1800 and died 1851 in MON. Can someone kindly confirm that from the clothing this photo is unlikely to be of John.   

Henry made a good match - into the Mansel Jones and Talbot (Port Talbot, Fox-Talbot) families.

Assuming this is Henry's photo, he was at the height of his prosperity having started as a mineral agent (coal merchant), then colliery viewer (mining surveyor), and manager of the Ystradgynlais Iron and Steel Works - but family tradition is that drink was his downfall. He died as a coal mine surface worker, killed by a truck that 'ran wild' (slipped its chocks). Newspaper reports of the sale of his furniture etc seem to confirm his former status.

The inquest is interesting in that one witness was untraceable, another couldn't recall anything.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photo believed to be Henry Cullimore 1828 -1897. Date wanted please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 10:01 BST (UK) »
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 11:35 BST (UK) »
I've highlighted what I believe his collar & tie look like.
This would make it Edwardian.
If you have the original can we see it?
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Steeple1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 11:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for yr interest. This came to me as a copy of a batch of Cullimore photos, most being of working class folk (colliers) which his descendants became. Henry is the only possible candidate as his father d. 1851, so obviously too early for this pic. Perhaps it is one of his wife's people, so cannot be  identified.