Author Topic: ID of Regiment & Uniform. Possibly William Hunter b 1870, Northumberland  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Cavanaghs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone identify any of these men?

My great-grandfather was William Hunter b November 1870 in Newsham. He then lived in Plessey Road, Blyth from pre-WW1 until his death. He may/may not be in this photo. I can’t recognise him from this photo.

We know he served in the Northumberland Fusiliers because we have his service number: 93716. But we have found absolutely no record of him in the usual online resources at all. He survived the war and brought back a music book which is dated 11 November 1919. It’s also inscribed "British Army on the Rhine".

Can anyone find any information on my great grandfather or any of the men in the photo? Are there any clues in the photo?

The original frame was edged in black so one of the men will have died in combat.

Many thanks for your help!
GEDMatch Kit no. CE7119959

Maternal: Thirlwell, Dobbins, Stamp, Rochester, Laws, Nicholson, Cavanagh, Jessop, Clough/Cleugh, Charlton, Weightman, Swinhoe, Swainson, Purdie, Carney…
(Northumberland, Cumberland, Ireland)

Paternal: Gilmour, McGrath, Oram, Green(e), Hepplewhite, Graham, Bugbird, Hanley, Hutton, Bellott, Busfield, Blake, Bugbird, Dwyer...
(Ireland, County Durham, especially Hartlepool, Whitby, North Yorkshire, Middlesex, Surrey, ia)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ID of Regiment & Uniform. Possibly William Hunter b 1870, Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 19:47 BST (UK) »
This is a group of Royal Army Medical Corps men (cap badge, arm badge).

The complete absence of records for a number 93716 suggests a man whose records were lost in WW2 and who didn't go overseas until after 11 Nov 1918, hence no medal card.  I have run his name and number through the men with dates of birth before 1901 whose records are still with MOD, he isn't there either.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Cavanaghs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 17:02 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Max! Good to hear an explanation of why he doesn't even have a medal card!

Is it just a coincidence that the photograph seems to be of older men or were older men often put in the Medical Corps?
GEDMatch Kit no. CE7119959

Maternal: Thirlwell, Dobbins, Stamp, Rochester, Laws, Nicholson, Cavanagh, Jessop, Clough/Cleugh, Charlton, Weightman, Swinhoe, Swainson, Purdie, Carney…
(Northumberland, Cumberland, Ireland)

Paternal: Gilmour, McGrath, Oram, Green(e), Hepplewhite, Graham, Bugbird, Hanley, Hutton, Bellott, Busfield, Blake, Bugbird, Dwyer...
(Ireland, County Durham, especially Hartlepool, Whitby, North Yorkshire, Middlesex, Surrey, ia)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 17:24 BST (UK) »
I think it is more the case that many entrants to RAMC already had some sort of first aid/medical knowledge and hence may have been a bit longer in the tooth!

The British Army of the Rhine came into existence in March 1919.

I would love to know how you know he was in the NF and what his number was.  I find no NF soldier with a number similar to that at all.

A possible scenario is that the 93716 is a Labour Corps number.  I have found a number of Labour Corps men with numbers adjacent to 93716.  He may have served in UK perhaps first in the NF and then in the Labour Corps until post Nov 1918 and then sent to France/Germany.  He was 44 when the war started so his age does possibly indicate a works unit then Labour Corps.

Guesswork

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Brosnooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 May 19 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Max many thanks for your response. William Hunter is my great-grandfather. Sheila is my cousin and posted photo and question.

Have sent to MoD, Glasgow, for his records. Nothing arrived yet.

I know his rank/regiment as I have a wonderful old music book ‘Unsere Haus Musik’ which is inscribed with rank/regiment and dated 11 November 1919, first Armistice, British Army on the Rhine. If I can get his records etc, I will contact the Northumbrian Fusiliers and ask if they would like the book.

I admit, I am worried that his records were destroyed during WWII.

Thanks again for your interest. Sheila and I are very grateful. As soon as we know more i’ll let you know.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 09:41 BST (UK) »
Delighted to have been of assistance. 

I shall be most interested to know what Glasgow come up with, I an frustrated by my inability to tie the number you gave to the Northumberland Fusiliers!

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 12:07 BST (UK) »
To my unimpressive eyesight, it appears only one person (or possibly two) has any medal ribbons on this photo. I do not know when the WW1 medals were produced and awarded but it makes me wonder, might this actually be a pre-WW1 (or at least pre-the end of WW1) photo ? Maybe the album title was not entirely accurate about its contents ?
(1) Janions of Cheshire, Lancashire, Hawaii, Vancouver and Seattle.
(2) Gregorys of Tarporley, Cheshire.
(3) Pughs of 'The New Pale' near Frodsham and Delamere in Cheshire.
(4) Nevills of Llanelly, Llangennech and Felinfoel.
(5) Yaldens of Ovington/Lovington in Hampshire.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 17:20 BST (UK) »
1914 Star ribbon late 1917, the other two 1919 at the earliest.  This is almost certainly an early WW1 photo, but after the 1914 economy tunic was introduced. All bar two (opinions may differ) have the pockets with no centre fold.

That said, I see no medal ribbons although the sergeant with the moustache in the centre seems to be sporting his two South Africa medals although the lack of colour makes it uncertain.

To be fair, I don't think the date of the photo (if that is what you mean by album) has been mentioned.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Brosnooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Max

Of course Sheila and i will keep you updated re Glasgow. As I said, nothing as yet. I think I sent it four weeks ago.

Susan