Author Topic: Boarding schools on Isle of Man  (Read 3683 times)

Offline Countryquine

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boarding schools on Isle of Man
« on: Tuesday 21 May 19 20:41 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I have asked this question before but can't remember if it was here or another forum....... anyway, my grandmother was born in 1897, and as far as I know, was an only child.  Her father was a musician and travelled around the country.  I believe she spent some of her school years in a boarding school on the Isle of Man - no idea what the connection was, if any.  It may have been in Douglas, as she was very interested in hearing from her neighbour about her trip to Douglas.

So, my question is, what boarding schools would have been open in the period say, 1904-1914?

And if there were any, could I find out about any records kept?

Thanks

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Boarding schools on Isle of Man
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 21:59 BST (UK) »
The principal private school on the island is King William's College - but during the time you are interested in, it was a boys school.

There is a sister school, Buchan School, originally for girls founded in 1875, and now the junior school for KWC.

Records may be at King William's College (for both schools) or at Manx National Heritage.
https://www.kwc.im/
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 22:19 BST (UK) »
Have you found her on 1911 census - just in case she is at school?

Offline Countryquine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 May 19 17:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for replies.

Now I have opened a door to another mystery.  I thought I would search in the Scottish census for 1911 just in case... as granny was married in Scotland in 1915 and I knew she had visited Scotland with her father on his travels.

I now find a possible family in Scotland in 1911 - father's name almost right (using a diminutive of his second name), age a bit out, child's name and age right, wife's name looks like it could be possible as we believe he married again - so maybe she was only on Isle of Man for a short time.

One of those instances where you wish you had asked as a child - but in the days when children were seen and not heard it never occured to me to do so.

Many thanks.