Author Topic: John and Jane Williams Newcastle-in-Emlyn, Cardigan  (Read 60 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Member
  • Great-grandmother Cheshire
    • View Profile
John and Jane Williams Newcastle-in-Emlyn, Cardigan
« on: Tuesday 21 May 19 21:47 BST (UK) »
Most of my family lived in Laugharne, Carmarthenshire, some later in Pembrokeshire, but my great-great grandfather was born in Newcastle-in-Emlyn, Cardigan, so I am posting this here, hoping some may have access to records I cannot find.

Looking through newspaper articles, I found one in the Carmarthen Journal and South Wales Weekly Advertiser . 8th August 1902 . p.3 - It named my great-great grandfather Thomas Williams also known as Tommy Mammy, and his mother Jane Williams. I knew his father was John Williams from the marriage certificate, but looking for his wife was like a needle in a haystack being a Williams in West Wales. Now I have her name, so my search has continued.

From census and marriage certificate it says Thomas and John were born/lived in Newcastle-in-Emlyn, Cardigan, both Labourers. I assume John and Jane married there, but that may not be the case.

I need to find the marriage between John Williams and Jane. Also, where were they living, as I cannot find them on any Census. Thomas was born c.1838 and married Margaret Howell from Llansadurnen, Laugharne in 1855, but I only find him from the 1871 Census onwards. The article dated 1902, would mean Thomas was 64 and living in Llanelli, therefore Jane was 80+ years of age. It seems Jane Williams was living in Carmarthenshire later in life, but the article says she was in the asylum Carmarthen/Llanelli, so in 1901 possibly an inmate. She wanted to leave but was detained in being an imbecile. Tommy Mammy had also spent time in the Union Workhouse in Llanelli, as well as many spells in prison, mainly due to drink.

At present, I would like to find any information relating to their life in Newcastle-in-Emlyn, Cardigan, which may spread to Carmarthenshire later.
Thompson, Ikin, Oakes, Goulding - Winsford, Cheshire
Williams - Newcastle Emlyn, Cardigan
Williams, Brown, Rowlands, Howell - Laugharne
Williams, Richards, Laugharne, Evans - Haverfordwest

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.