Author Topic: Translation of a Welsh Newspaper Article  (Read 1466 times)

Online Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Translation of a Welsh Newspaper Article
« on: Wednesday 22 May 19 13:36 BST (UK) »
Looking through newspaper articles regarding my great-great-grandfather, Thomas Williams, I also found he was called Tommy Mammy. Living in Laugharne, each census said he spoke English, but recently I found a very early record which said he spoke both English and Welsh; and understandable as he was born in Newcastle-in-Emlyn. I have now found a newspaper article in Welsh, that mentions Tommy Mammy. My basic Welsh is able to pick out some words, but cannot make sense of it, especially how Tommy Mammy relates to politicians. If Tommy Mammy is Thomas Williams, he would be 80 at the time and possibly living in the Union Workhouse, Llanelly.

Could someone translate the basics of this article?
I copied an electronic transcription and then proof-read to iron out as many errors as possible. But it was too large to paste into this page.

The Carmarthen Journal and South Wales Weekly Advertiser . 17th May 1918 . News . p.4 .
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3679076/3679080/54/

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Translation of a Welsh Newspaper Article
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 14:24 BST (UK) »
Might be missing something but I can't see any mention of a Thomas Williams or Tommy Mammy in either the Welsh or English paragraphs. There is however this https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3645774/3645777/10/tommy%20mammy

Online Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hen Eglwys y Cymry. Derbyniwyd y ffigyrau uchod gyda banllefau, ac wrth fod Mr. Lloyd George yn ymadael a'r Ystafell (Chamber), ar ol y rhaniad, yr oedd yn "Hwre" gwyllt ac uchel, mor uchel fel elybu Mr. Davies, golygydd y "Western Mail," y banllefau yn egluT iawn yn ei ystafell. Un peth yr wyf yn gofidio, am nad yw y gyrraith yn caniatau hyny, sef marcho y 106 Wait-and-See Co. yma o Dy v. Cyffredin, a do'd a hwy i lawr i Gacr- fyrddin, a hyny o dan arweiniad "Tommy Mammy" a "Dai Nanny." Am eu tynged, barnod y darllenydd I dori y stori yn fyr, y maen tramgwydd (stumbling-block) yw, EIDDIGEDD at y Cymro bach — Prif Weinidog Prydain Fawr! Ie, dywedaf, Achubwr ein Gwlad." Byw fyth byddo," medd "Myrddinfab" o eigion ei galon.

I have tried Google Translate and it makes no sense.

Online Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 14:50 BST (UK) »
I have found plenty of articles relating to Tommy Mammy, often court cases or escaping from the workhouse. This is the only Welsh language one. In the article linked to in my initial post, I am not sure if it is the same Tommy Mammy, as most articles are from 1895 to 1902, with this one being 1918. I have also asked on the World War One page if Tommy Mammy and Dai Nanny held any meaning, like soldiers being Tommies.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 15:03 BST (UK) »
One thing I am worried (sic. about), because the law does not allow that, namely ’marching, ’ and that under the leadership of “Tommy Mammy” and “Dai Nanny”. Of their fate, the reader be the judge. To cut a long story short the stumbling block is the jealousy towards the Little Welshman – The British Prime Minister.  Yes! I say our Country’s Rescuer. “ Long may he live, says “Myrddinfab” from the depth of his heart.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 15:21 BST (UK) »
The long winded rambling article is something to do with whatever was going on in Parliament. It seems there was a "wait and See company" of which Dai Nanny & Tomy Manny were ?leading. I've no idea what they would have been marching about, but it seems some sort of reform of the houses of Parliament was being dragged out or decisions about the War ? Looks like maybe Lloyd George opposed a wait and see attititude.
There are a couple of mentions relating to issue of "wait and see:"

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/4120291/4120296/81/wait%20and%20see%20company
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3416294/3416299/89/wait%20and%20see%20company
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/4221115/4221118/60/wait%20and%20see%20company

Online Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 16:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I think this post can be closed. Being in Welsh, it was the mention of Tommy Mammy I needed to clarify, though felt it could not be my great-great-grandfather, especially talking also about politicians. Finding a reference not being my relative, I would still like to know if Tommy Mammy had somethiing to do with World War One, along with Dai Nanny, as they seem derogatory terms for soldiers who possibly did not fight, or those under-age. I have asked that question on the WW1 page.