Author Topic: Nugent Gravestone in Castlerickard Graveyard  (Read 6739 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nugent Gravestone in Castlerickard Graveyard
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 02 June 19 19:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ian.  That seems like a good resource.  I'll have to explore it a bit more.  Another early grave (from early 1700s) at a nearby cemetery that I am interested in has a coat of arms on it, though it is from another Norman family.

I realized that I was wrong about there being a third "of" on the addresses for James Nugent in 1832, given on the index to wills.  With some thought, I have come to the conclusion that the second "f" must denote the word "formerly", as in "formerly of Lionsden."

This is really quite interesting to me, since I never thought I would learn where James lived previously, since that was so long ago (at least before 1826) and the parish records seem to only go back to about 1885 or so.

I take it as possibly being the place where he was born, or at least where he lived a long time before he was married.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nugent Gravestone in Castlerickard Graveyard
« Reply #37 on: Monday 03 June 19 16:55 BST (UK) »
I've discovered that Lionsden is in Killine and Longwood Catholic Parish.

They have some pretty interesting death records.  The most intact of any Catholic parish that I've seen, although without many details.  During a certain period, it says where a person is buried.  The cemeteries vary entry by entry and sometimes they are outside the parish.

Neither James or Mary comes up, but I guess that is to be expected, since they died in a separate parish, even though they are buried there.

I have just browsed it a little and found one Nugent death: widow Anne Nugent died July 29, 1831 in Lyons Den, buried in Castlerickard.  Too bad it doesn't give her age, or the name of her husband.