Author Topic: Birth for Eveline Mary MAUGHAN  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth for Eveline Mary MAUGHAN
« on: Thursday 23 May 19 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I am trying to locate the birth date of Eveline Mary MAUGHAN, may have been born in Hobart, Tasmania around 1938 but not entirely sure.

Parents are Bernard William Maughan and Nancy Doreen Lyla Grace MASON.

Look for ward to any help with appreciation.

Thank You.

Kind Regards

Cienna

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Birth for Eveline Mary MAUGHAN
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 May 19 09:40 BST (UK) »
1 am posting this as it is her death notice from Hobart Mercury  9 Oct 1945 ( so is not affected by privacy policy) There is also a note about her disappearance from home on July 8th 1945. Sadly it seems she was murdered by Frederick Henry Thompson. And her father seems to have been before the Court. Whilst this doesn't give you an exact dob some family histories online suggest Aug 1937.

MAUGHAN.-On or about July 8,
1945, suddenly, at Hobart, Eveline
Mary, beloved daughter of William
and Nancy Maughan; of 100 Goul-
burn St., Hobart, grand-daughter
of L. S. Mason, of 100 Goulburn
St., Hobart, and grand-daughter of
Mr and Mrs J. Maughan, of 221
Macquarie St., Hobart, and Mrs G,
Mason, of Sydney, aged 7 years,
Requiescat in pace.
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 May 19 10:02 BST (UK) »
You may find further information on Trove:
https://trove.nla.gov.au/
....though probably not her dob.

If Tassie is like other States, the birth indexes online won’t cover such recent events.

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 May 19 06:03 BST (UK) »
Shume and Ruskie, thank you both for your replies, Evelyn sadly was murdered by Frederick Henry Thompson and for his crime he was hanged and the last person to be hanged in Tasmania.

I was hoping for a date for her birth but at least I have August 1937, the family of today would like to erect a headstone for her as she is interred in an unmarked grave and wanted to add the dates of birth and death.

Your help is appreciated thank  you.

Regards

Cienna

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 May 19 06:50 BST (UK) »
That's a nice gesture Cienna.

If there are any living relatives it is possible that they can request a search of the birth records, even a request solely for the date of birth rather than the complete certificate. As this case is quite unique, I would like to think that the archivists would be willing to supply the information if they know the full story and the reason for the request.

Restricting access to information on births is for privacy reasons, and of course this does not apply in this case.

If I were you I would contact the Tassie Justice dept (?) that holds the records. Recently there have been one or two examples of other States releasing "restricted" bmd information - I think if they understand the reason for the request they tend to be compassionate and willing to help. I would advise not taking "no" for an answer either.  ;)

Good luck, and please let us know how you get on. :)

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 May 19 06:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ruskie for letting me know about  Tassie Justice dept, I will contact them on Monday, I think it's getting a bit late in the day to ring now.

It is a lovely gesture of the family to do this for little Evelyn, I don't know of any of her family that may still live in Tasmania, expect for a lady whom married my cousin but she passed away last year, I might have got the help from her if this had of come up sooner....never mind I will keep trying.

Thank you for your help.

Kind Regards

Cienna.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 May 19 07:07 BST (UK) »
May I support Ruskie's comments. 

May I also suggest you check with the cemetery for them to check their burial records for the funeral director.  It is entirely possible the firm may have retained details in their files too.  Funeral directors often pass their business down through generations of their own family.  Also her funeral may have included a church service,  perhaps check there too, in case of a baptism, which may be in church register and may include her date of birth.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 May 19 07:54 BST (UK) »
I also agree that a headstone would be a nice gesture, I visited the cemetery today and it was a little sad to see that her gravesite was unmarked.

The contact details for the Catholic Archdiocese of Hobart are linked below, hopefully they will have her baptism record as suggested by majm.
https://hobart.catholic.org.au/content/archives

M

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 May 19 08:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you, MJ and M, for your pieces of info, I have checked with the cemetery records to no avail, I will look into the  Catholic Archdiocese of Hobart and Funeral home on Monday.

It's a sad place when you visit the cemetery and there are so many unmarked graves, I would really like to help this family if I am able to get them with the info so Evelyn will get her headstone.

Than you again.

Regards

Cienna