Author Topic: Music Halls: Frank Melvin  (Read 821 times)

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Music Halls: Frank Melvin
« on: Thursday 23 May 19 09:32 BST (UK) »
Someone has sent me an autographed photograph of a music hall star by the name of Frank Melvin.  The photo is dated June 1912, when he appeared at the Palace Theatre, Halifax.

I have put the photo on-line at

http://calderdalecompanion.co.uk/ph4491.html

Have I read his name correctly?  Does anyone know anything about the man? 

Any information would be appreciated
Surname interests:

Huntingdon: Bull / Shelford
Rotherham: Andrews / Steel
Easingwold: Snowball / Potter

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Music Halls: Frank Melvin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 May 19 11:25 BST (UK) »
There are numerous mentions of him in newspapers  "The Stage" and the "Music Hall and Theatre Review"
 From The Stage - Thursday 25 April 1912 Frank Melvin, Yorkshire comedian, gives a well-received turn
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 May 19 11:28 BST (UK) »
From The Stage - Thursday 10 September 1925
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 16:41 BST (UK) »
In the 1911 census for Gregory Boulevard, Hyson Green, Nottingham, there is a boarder listed with the Greensmith Family, and he is:
"Frank Melvin, boarder 31 married(for under one year) music hall artist, b Bradford, Yorkshire" (1880)
and directly below that:
"Nance Melvin, boarder 30 married, music hall artist b London" (1881).
Hope that's helpful.
TY
(In the census notes on Ancestry it seems to think he's a son of the household, but I suspect that's an error, simply because Mr Greensmith's first name is Frank, also. It clearly states "boarder" by both Frank and Nance's names, and other people living there, too.)
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 16:58 BST (UK) »
In the 1911 census for Gregory Boulevard, Hyson Green, Nottingham, there is a boarder listed with the Greensmith Family, and he is:
"Frank Melvin, boarder 31 married(for under one year) music hall artist, b Bradford, Yorkshire" (1880)
and directly below that:
"Nance Melvin, boarder 30 married, music hall artist b London" (1881).
Hope that's helpful.
TY
(In the census notes on Ancestry it seems to think he's a son of the household, but I suspect that's an error, simply because Mr Greensmith's first name is Frank, also.)

I had a swift look at FreeBMD for a birth or marriage but didn't find anything definite (apart from a possible Francis Joseph MELVIN birth Mar qtr 1877 Bradford).  Of course, if Frank and Nellie used stage names it would be difficult to track them down.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 17:13 BST (UK) »
I agree - but the use of the same surname for both suggests it may have been their surname. I can't find any marriage round 1910, either - no trace otherwise. Stumped, so far!
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 17:19 BST (UK) »
I'd found the birth you've found, too, and because of that beetled off after Frank /Francis Joseph Melvin marriages, and the only  rather loose fit I could find was in 1909, in Prestwich, near Manchester, to Rose HANNAH Murphy (Hannah>Anna>Ann>Nan> Nance?)
Very tenuous, said she clutching at straws....