Author Topic: A confusing definition of genealogy  (Read 933 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Martin H. Watson Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246
    • View Profile
Re: A confusing definition of genealogy
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 13:59 BST (UK) »
Two weeks ago I discovered a DNA link, with great grandchildren from the village where my great great grandmother lived. It is conclusive evidence that in 1859 she used to, how shall I put this, put it about a bit. It has suddenly meant that my tree has a few more branches than it had a fortnight ago.

Martin
Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093

Names:
Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton, Durham & Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & Hartlepool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young, Adamson & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I use GRAMPS v5.0 software. 

My ancestors are probably turning in their graves, not that I can actually find any of them.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST (Speciality - South Uist, Inverness)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 15:46 BST (UK) »
Love it...can't beat finding previously unknowns although I've yet to try the DNA route.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, MacKinnon, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 20:44 BST (UK) »
Nothing better than breaking down a brickwall, especially for lines that grab your interest more.

I also love looking at direct ancestors army records for ones who were in the army, and finding they spent time stationed in an area of the country that I have always loved. To me that is as good as ancestors being from that area.

Banns and licences for marriages can be handy if you cannot find a marriage itself, but the couple did live seemingly as husband and wife aftewards.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain