Author Topic: Looking back on genealogy and privacy from the Year 2100  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Looking back on genealogy and privacy from the Year 2100
« on: Thursday 23 May 19 10:35 BST (UK) »
Do you think genealogists in 80 years time will look back on these days, and wonder why, having the technology, we didn't microchip everybody at birth and take DNA samples on death?

I know many people will quote George Orwell, and throw up their arms, but there are many arguments strongly in favour of both. At the very least if DNA was taken on death it might reduce the necessity for disinterment.

Already we hear of QR codes on headstones.

I'm only starting a discussion, not stating any preferences.

Martin

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking back on genealogy and privacy from the Year 2100
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 May 19 11:13 BST (UK) »
The QR codes on headstones was news to me. Where are they offering that?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 May 19 11:17 BST (UK) »
Somerset cemeteries approved for interactive QR code graves.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-31525144

http://www.qr-memories.com

Other QR codes for headstones companies are available. As they say.

Martin

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 May 19 11:30 BST (UK) »
Interesting, but probably going to be a while before it gets into common use.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 May 19 11:48 BST (UK) »
I do actually think that by the time it gets into common use, if it ever does, QR codes will be as obsolete as the 5 and quarter inch floppy disc. I can imagine in 100 years time there will be people rooting about in the long grass finding a QR code but no longer having a device that reads them.

Damage to one or two of the elements of the code could make it unreadable.

Slightly off Topic but 3 or 4 years ago I was in a museum in Washington DC and there were QR codes around the walls, some of them next to the sign saying "no cameras" . I was very tempted to take a photograph.

Martin

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 May 19 14:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, that thought about technology obsolescence crossed my mind too  :)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 May 19 15:15 BST (UK) »
I think is is a gimmick but a useful gimmick, but there are a number of drawbacks in reality.
Apart from obsolescence mentioned previously if the stone is under a tree there could be bird droppings to contend with in other locations lichen & moss, then there is the possibility of fading or even the edges peeling and breaking off. That is even before copyright is taken in to account.

However in spite of this they would be a useful source if groups such as FHS or others could photograph every stone plus the relevant QR code and build an online database.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 May 19 16:07 BST (UK) »
Guy, bird droppings under a tree to contend with, and lichen & moss are all part of the 'fun' aren't they?  You are totally right of, course.  The code should be accessible, but not an eyesore.  I can image the next generation finding them and thinking that they are crosswords without clues.  I clearly remember the first time I ever saw one, photographing it (with a proper camera) and then researching it at home.

I know whenever I look for a specific grave marker number, it is always behind nettles!

Martin

Offline susieroe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 May 19 09:15 BST (UK) »

I know whenever I look for a specific grave marker number, it is always behind nettles!

Martin

Didn't you know, Martin, it's a tradition in your family? "Plant nettles round my grave and make that young whipper-snapper work for it!"
Roe,Wells, Bent, Kemp, Weston
Bruin, Gillam, Hurd/Heard, Timson, All in Leicestershire. Keats (Kates)

https://ourkeatsfamilystory.blogspot.com/