Author Topic: Seeking assistance to find birthplace of Irish ancestor Ann Sharkey  (Read 3552 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking assistance to find birthplace of Irish ancestor Ann Sharkey
« Reply #27 on: Friday 14 June 19 08:58 BST (UK) »
Certificate (of Freedom)
The undermentioned persons .....
Canada (4)  .....  Ann SHARKEY

Sydney Gazette 3 April 1823...
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/2181775

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 14 June 19 09:01 BST (UK) »
Ann Keogh,  Canada (4) Certificate as per Sydney Gaz 8 May 1823.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/2181863

Does not help find where Ann SHARKEY was born.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 14 June 19 09:22 BST (UK) »
Are you considering obtaining an official transcription of the d.c. for Ann HERBERT, #5628 for the February 1860 death registered Queanbeyan district?  The info displayed at NSW BDM online index has her parents given names as John and Ann.  There was a John SHARKEY transported to NSW  :) he arrived per the Dorothy in 1820, but he was not likely to be her dad - perhaps he was her brother ?  ... anyway, he was aged 19 when transported.   Trial was Dublin City.   

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/103399591 Goulburn Herald 7 March 1860.  "Mrs H"   

JM

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 14 June 19 09:52 BST (UK) »
The certificate of freedom is interesting. I guess she remained Sharkey in the convict records even though she was Mrs Herbert by then. I have ordered the death certificate. I think Sharkey was a reasonably common name in Ireland. There were several other convicts named Sharkey but no suggestion they were related.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 15 June 19 03:01 BST (UK) »
The certificate of freedom is interesting. I guess she remained Sharkey in the convict records even though she was Mrs Herbert by then. I have ordered the death certificate. I think Sharkey was a reasonably common name in Ireland. There were several other convicts named Sharkey but no suggestion they were related.

No need to guess.  The admin system was set up by NSW Governor Lachlan Macquarie in around 1810.  Previous governors had been Royal Navy men.   He was Army and Scottish born and taking over after a coup d'etat.   He was born in Scotland, his wife was a Campbell, and his administrative decisions basically followed the Scottish tradition.  So regardless of whether the female was transported under the sentence of a civil court or if she came as part of the household of a garrison force, or came free, whatever name she was known by when she landed was the name that was usually retained in the official records.   Among his many admin systems, he set up the first system of BDM registrations, so that each quarter, his office received information that allowed him to notify Whitehall and receive funding based on the net per capita increase in the penal settlements' populations (free, came free, still under bond, born in the colony etc) under his administration.   

JM   

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 17 June 19 05:39 BST (UK) »
The death certificate is now to hand. She was born at Wexford. Her parents were John Sharkey and Ann Doyle (if the informant, her son Michael, is correct). So there is no Naas connection. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. Geoff