Author Topic: Aberdeen - Adams - Birth record look up  (Read 3952 times)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Aberdeen - Adams - Birth record look up
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 May 19 08:24 BST (UK) »
There is a Sylvia Adams in the Free Passage list for the Royal Dane, 1870-1871.

Malky

Offline ScottishAncestors

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 May 19 04:08 BST (UK) »
All the records include the following;

Shipping Manifest
Death Certificate
Marriage Certificate

First Child's death certificate (George)

All of the above, except shipping manifest, state Aberdeen, Scotland as Sylvinia's place of birth.

The only witnesses on the marriage certificate are the officiating minister, Alexander Hay, as well as Hugh Lawbie Morton and David Watson.  I've checked out Morton and Watson, they were not relatives or friends of Sylvinia or her husband.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 May 19 04:14 BST (UK) »
There is a Sylvia Adams in the Free Passage list for the Royal Dane, 1870-1871.

Malky
Hi Malky, Thank you for the shipping manifest for the Royal Dane.  I have this already, but have still yet to track down the other Adams people who were also on board, who may or may not be related to my ancestor, Sylvinia. This ship manifest and other Australian records are all the records I have found so far.  It is rather strange that Sylvinia doesn't show up in any Scottish records or any other UK records that I've searched.  Her birth and life before she came to Australia, remains a mystery.  Thank you for your input.  It is very much appreciated.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 May 19 04:19 BST (UK) »

"..On all the records I have found for Sylvinia Emily Adams, she has been consistent in stating that she was born in Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. "

What records have you found. Can you be specific please.
Hi Wivenhoe,  Sorry I am new at RootsChat.  I posted my reply to you in the general part of this chat.  I've only just realized that I can reply directly to each person.  I'm learning as I go on this web site.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 May 19 04:58 BST (UK) »

It would be better to post to the forum so that everyone contributing to your enquiry has the same information.

The birth certificate for George ADAMS born 1874 would be useful for your research. There will be a date and place for the birth, date and place for the registration, name of informant.....and age for mother.  I think that Sylvia might have lowered her age to 21 years at 1876 because she is marrying a younger John James CARLTON.  Her age on the birth certificate would be good to see.

Can you please list all the information on the death certificate for Sylvinia Emily CARLTON, died 1896.  Everything on the document please. Do not leave out any details.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 May 19 05:01 BST (UK) »
"On all the records I have found for Sylvinia Emily Adams, she has been consistent in stating that she was born in Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.  Her birth years on all records range from 1850 to 1855.  The actual names of her parents on her marriage certificate are James Adams (a farmer) and Jane Elizabeth McLean.  I mentioned Janet as I know that this is more common than Jane in Scotland"

Does the marriage state whether either/both parents were deceased? (Edited to make sense)  ::)

Jane/Jean are interchangeable same for Janet/Jessie

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 May 19 05:09 BST (UK) »
"Sylvinia arrived in Rockhampton, Australia on 19 November, 1870, on the ship Royal Dane"

Sorry if I've overlooked this, where did she sail from?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 May 19 05:38 BST (UK) »

BDM QLD marriage
1900   C1706   Agnes Mary           CARLTON   marr.   Frank James                   THOMAS   
1900   B446        Ethel Frances       CARLTON   marr.  Charles Frederick           HAMER
1902   C1689   Janet May          CARLTON   marr.  James William                   DODDS
1907   C1110    Florence           CARLTON   marr.  Thomas                           RICHARDSON
1909   B7905    Marion Carnegie   CARLTON   marr.   Thomas Michael Joseph   WILLIAMSON   

BDM QLD births
1901   C8292       THOMAS Percival Ernest    parents             Frank / Agnes Mary CARLTON
1905   C7885   THOMAS Francis Harold    parents Francis James / Agnes Mary CARLTON   
1907   B15980   THOMAS Leslie James       parents Francis James / Agnes Mary CHARLTON   
1910   B22678   THOMAS Roy Henry       parents Francis James / Agnes Mary CARLTON   
1912   B30436   THOMAS Sylvia Rebecca    parents Francis James / Agnes Mary CARLTON   
1915   B39037   THOMAS Thelma Agnes    parents Francis James / Agnes Mary CARLTON   
1917   B49923   THOMAS Cecil William    parents Francis James / Agnes Mary CARLTON

1901   C4078   HAMER Charles Sylvinus   parents Charles Frederick /   Ethel Frances CARLTON

1903   C7365   DODDS Leslie John      parents James William / Janet May CARLTON
1905   C8103   DODDS Sylvia Florence   parents James William / Janet May CARLTON
1908   B16266   DODDS William James   parents James William / Janet May CARLTON
1910   B22422   DODDS Charles Sylvanus   parents James William / Janet May CARLTON
1911   B27212   DODDS Mavis Florence   parents James William / Janet May CARLTON

1910   C3872   WILLIAMSON Sylvia Winifred
parents Thomas Michael /   Marion Conagia CARLTON

1912   B27894   WILLIAMSON Michael Thomas Joseph
parents Thomas Michael Joseph / Marion Carnagie

When the name Sylvanus, with variation, appears in the next generation, it would seem to be gender specific....used for boys. I wonder if it is a family name (surname) from earlier ADAMS ancestry?.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 May 19 06:39 BST (UK) »
"Sylvinia arrived in Rockhampton, Australia on 19 November, 1870, on the ship Royal Dane"

Sorry if I've overlooked this, where did she sail from?

Annie

Hi Annie!
The ship set sail at London:
Name:    Sylvia Adams
Birth Year:    abt 1851
Ship Name:    Royal Dane
Port of Departure:    London, England
Port of Arrival:    Rockhampton
Arrival Date:    19 Nov 1870