Author Topic: German family  (Read 564 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
German family
« on: Friday 24 May 19 14:29 BST (UK) »
I am very interested to find out more about a family from Germany.

In 1861, Gertrude Elizabeth UNKNOWN (40) is living in Hackney as the wife of one of my relatives, John DANIELS. There are 4 children listed: Mary DANIELS (11) - b Germany, Elizabeth DANIELS (5) - b Hackney, Sarah DANIELS (2) - b Hackney and George William DANIELS (1d) - b Hackney.

I know from their birth certificates that both Sarah and George are the natural children of John DANIELS. Their mother was born in Germany, but is a British subject. She is described on their birth certificate as "late CROSSMAN, formerly PONTE" and as "formerly PONT".

When she married in 1879, Mary is married under the name Caroline Marian GRASSMAN, which I believe to be a misspelling of GROSSMAN. In subsequent censuses, her birthplace is described as Baueryon or Bavaria. In. 1871 she is listed as Marie GROSSMAN living with her brother Leopold GROSSMAN in West Kensington, his birthplace is described as "Wirtenberg" or "Wurdttenberg" in Germany.

I can't find an appropriate birth for Elizabeth, though when she marries in 1877, she marries under the name Elizabeth CROSSMAN, possibly an anglicisation of Grossman. It would appear that she was born in England.

Their mother is sometimes called Elizabeth, at other times Gertrude and on occasion by both names together.

I now believe that only Sarah and George are the natural children of John Daniels and Elizabeth Gertrude. In my opinion, Leopold, Marie and Elizabeth are children from a previous marriage.

All of which, raises several questions:

(1) where was Elizabeth Gertrude born and what was her maiden name?
(2) who was her first husband and where did they marry?
(3) where was Marie Caroline born and who was her father?
(4) where was Elizabeth born and who was her father?

Help answering any of these questions would be most welcome. Is anybody on here an expert of German births and marriages? Does anyone have access to the relevant records?

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 May 19 08:08 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to the familysearch wiki on researching Germany https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Germany_Genealogy
Try that for starters.