Author Topic: Haslingden Marriages  (Read 2000 times)

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Haslingden Marriages
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 May 19 15:52 BST (UK) »
Lancsopc is working ok for me.  I generally do a broad search from this page and just enter minimal information   http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

I see the Bridget Ward marriage was in Rawtenstall.  I can't see Bridget King's marriage on there. Lancsopc don't have many RC registers on their site yet

Thanks so much for your help. I wonder if it is because I am searching from Canada maybe? Just can't get any of the searches to work at all from there.

I will get my friend to order the certificates from the records office for Peter McDermott and Bridget King. I really appreciate your help
Anderson & Marr - Midlothian & East Lothian
Bennett - Devonport
Catleugh & Shiells - East Lothian
Galvin, McLaren, Cullen & Dowling - Waterford, Ireland
Littlejohns - Plymouth & London
Mansfield - Benfleet & St Pancras
Michelin - London
Newlands - Midlothian & Fife
Paterson - Canongate, Midlothian
Rutherford and Johnston - Roxburghshire
Taylor - East Lothian & Berwickshire
Thomson - Leith & Muthill
Thorney, Hawkin, Lewis - Herefordshire
Small & Paulin - Northumberland
Varrall - Kent

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 May 19 22:40 BST (UK) »
Haslingden registration district 1837-1974 included other parishes and towns besides Haslingden. List of civil parishes in Haslingden registration district, with dates:
https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/haslingden.html

Marriages 1837-1888 at St. James the Less, Rawtenstall are on Lancashire Online Parish Clerks site.
LANOPC does not yet have any registers of St. Mary R.C., Haslingden.
St. Mary R.C., Bacup marriage registers 1854-1862* and 1894-1918** have been added to LANOPC recently. *Added November 2018; ** Added April 2019.
There are/were other Catholic churches in the area which was Haslingden registration district.
Several Catholic and Non-conformist registers are among additions to LANOPC of last 2 months.

Baptisms of 7 children of Michael & Bridget McDermott are on LANOPC. Baptism entry of Joseph has a note about his marriage in 1918 and the name of his spouse.
The home page for each parish on LANOPC has a list of churches in the parish, foundation or building date, and dates of registers on the website.
NB. There is a delay between inclusion of a register on LANOPC website and inclusion in the Ancestor Search facility. In the meantime each register can be searched by surname or date from the parish home page.
Lancashire  Online Parish Clerks is a volunteer operation.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 May 19 22:52 BST (UK) »
Register office marriages are NOT parish registers.
The ONLY option is purchase

Purchase is not the only option, as shown on this thread, thanks to wonderful Lancashire Online Parish Clerks.
One of my Catholic grandfathers married twice in the same registration district. One wedding is on LANOPC, the other isn't but might be sometime.
Cowban

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 May 19 02:04 BST (UK) »
Haslingden registration district 1837-1974 included other parishes and towns besides Haslingden. List of civil parishes in Haslingden registration district, with dates:
https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/haslingden.html

Marriages 1837-1888 at St. James the Less, Rawtenstall are on Lancashire Online Parish Clerks site.
LANOPC does not yet have any registers of St. Mary R.C., Haslingden.
St. Mary R.C., Bacup marriage registers 1854-1862* and 1894-1918** have been added to LANOPC recently. *Added November 2018; ** Added April 2019.
There are/were other Catholic churches in the area which was Haslingden registration district.
Several Catholic and Non-conformist registers are among additions to LANOPC of last 2 months.

Baptisms of 7 children of Michael & Bridget McDermott are on LANOPC. Baptism entry of Joseph has a note about his marriage in 1918 and the name of his spouse.
The home page for each parish on LANOPC has a list of churches in the parish, foundation or building date, and dates of registers on the website.
NB. There is a delay between the inclusion of a register on LANOPC website and inclusion in the Ancestor Search facility. In the meantime, each register can be searched by surname or date from the parish home page.
Lancashire  Online Parish Clerks is a volunteer operation.

Thank you so much for that, that really helps. Maybe Peter married at St Mary's and not St James.

Unfortunately, I still can't get the website to work for me using any of the search functions anywhere on the site, keeps throwing me to an error page, but I've been able to find some stuff by googling LAN-OPC and the name of the person. So have been able to find the details you mention about for Michael and his wife. I am guessing all of Peter's children were perhaps baptized at St Mary's, but the info I have found has really helped me narrow down a few things for my friend.

I really appreciate all the help.   
Anderson & Marr - Midlothian & East Lothian
Bennett - Devonport
Catleugh & Shiells - East Lothian
Galvin, McLaren, Cullen & Dowling - Waterford, Ireland
Littlejohns - Plymouth & London
Mansfield - Benfleet & St Pancras
Michelin - London
Newlands - Midlothian & Fife
Paterson - Canongate, Midlothian
Rutherford and Johnston - Roxburghshire
Taylor - East Lothian & Berwickshire
Thomson - Leith & Muthill
Thorney, Hawkin, Lewis - Herefordshire
Small & Paulin - Northumberland
Varrall - Kent

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 May 19 04:33 BST (UK) »
Marriage usually took place in the bride's parish. I presume that Peter's spouse was resident in a different parish to Michael's. The marriage certificate will have the name of the church, providing they married in church.
Haslingden and Rawtenstall towns are close together. Bacup is further. There were railway lines so easy travelling.
LANOPC is working fine for me.
Cowban

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 May 19 13:39 BST (UK) »
I am guessing that this is the marriage of one of Peter & Bridget's children which confirms they were baptised at St Mary's so probably the marriage took place there too

Petrum Walsh - 34, of Bacup
Helenam McDermott - 28, of Bacup
Married 3 Jun 1916 St Mary, Bacup, Lancashire
Groom's Parents: Joannis & Mariae Walsh
Bride's Parents: Petri & Birgittae McDermott
Witnesses: Jacobo Darcy, 3 Rosebank St. Bacup; Helena Barnes, 50 Burnley Rd. Bacup
Also noted[groom] baptiz. in hac eccl. S. Mariae apud Bacup, 16 Apr 1882; [bride] baptiz. in hac eccl. S. Mariae apud Bacup, 21 Oct 1888
Register: Marriages 1894 - 1922, Entry 2

is this the URL you are using for lan-opc

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 May 19 14:02 BST (UK) »
I've never ever had a problem with Lancs Parish Clerks online!! What one earth are you doing? Just type it in any browser, and you're there! It's a brilliant resource. As Maiden Stone says, volunteers, and wonderful!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 May 19 21:54 BST (UK) »
Is this another member of family?
 Catherine McDermott of Bacup, father Peter, married Michael Darcy, 26th Dec. 1896 St. Mary, Bacup. Witnesses William & Mary Dunleavy. [NB a witness to marriage of Helen/Ellen McDermott to Peter Walsh reply #14 was James Darcy.] (from LANOPC)
I noted the name Dunleavy as one of my Irish families had a connection to a Dunleavy in Mayo. Also there's a Haslingden-born historian called Dunleavy. He's an expert on Michael Davitt. A Dunleavy family lived in the same Haslingden street as the Davitt family. Peter and Michael McDermott would have been contemporaries of Michael Davitt.

I noticed the surname Egan several times as godparents for children of Michael & Bridget McDermott;  John & Maria Egan for Bridget 1875, John for Michael 1877, Thomas & Mary for James 1881. Selecting Rawtenstall + 7 miles radius as location parish for LANOPC  'Ancestor Search', a date +/-20 years and putting Michael McDermott in 'Other person' names boxes, found him as godfather to these children, baptised at St. James the Less, Rawtenstall:
Thomas Simon Egan, son of Thomas Egan & Mary (McDermott); baptised Nov. 1868; born 30th Oct. 1868. Godmother was Honora McDermott. (Honora could have been Honor, Nora, Oney, Hannah or Annie in everyday life, to name a few.)
Michael Hagan, son of Thomas Hagan & Mary (McDermott); baptised Nov. 1870.
Those baptisms led to a marriage at St. Mary, Rawtenstall, 27th May 1859. Thomas Hagan & Mary McDermott, both of Rawtenstall. Bride's father was Michael McDermott.
Michael McDermott was also godfather to Sarah Doyle, daughter of Andrew & Catherine (Ward), 1879. Godmother was Bridget McDermott.

19thC burial registers for Bacup and Rawtenstall cemeteries and 20thC for Haslingden cemetery are on LANOPC with cemetery plans. Several McDermott burials in each cemetery. As usual with 'Mc/Mac' surnames, the indexing is erratic. A Michael McDermott was buried at Rawtenstall cemetery on 13th March 1913. Abode 616 Burnley Rd., Crawshawbooth. Age 57; occupation labourer. Parish removed from: Rawtenstall. Crawshawbooth is a village north of Rawtenstall and Burnley Road is the main road north out of Rawtenstall.
I think there were a few early burials at St. James the Less. Prior to the building of St. James, Catholics were probably buried in C. of E. churchyard.
Some early R.C. baptisms on LANOPC at Rawtenstall Oratorio,  which I assume predated the church.
Edit. Deaths register St. James the Less on LANOPC. 1855-1870; 1877-79; 1879-1979.
The Oratorio may have been at Sunnyside Mill. Earliest baptisms were before 1830 but undated.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 May 19 00:58 BST (UK) »
I checked GENUKI for 19thC baptism and marriage registers for Catholic churches in Rossendale to find out what there is.
St James the Less, Rawtenstall.
Baptisms 1836-1855 and 1876-1941 are at Lancashire Archives.
Marriages 1836-1855 and 1869-1941 at Lancashire Archives.
There was a small R.C chapel at Sunnyside, beside Irwell Terrace and the first baptism recorded there was 1836. St. James the Less opened 1845. 
The Rawtenstall priests served Catholics in Ramsbottom until a mission was established there 1862.

St. Mary, Haslingden aka The Immaculate Conception was founded in 1850s. "About 200 Catholics, many of them from Mayo, formed the nucleus of the new parish." ("Salford Dioceses and its' Catholic Past" by Charles Bolton  published 1950)
Baptisms 1876-1941 at Lancashire Archives.
Marriages 1886-1941 at Lancashire Archives.
Also some later registers at Lancs. Archives.
No graveyard.

St. Joseph, Stacksteads founded 1892. Registers at Lancs. Archives start 1947. Stacksteads is between Rawtenstall and Bacup.
St. Peter, Newchurch and St. Thomas More, Crawshawbooth were founded in 20th century.

Lancashire Archives online catalogue has a printed list of church register holdings.

Haslingden cemetery, Grane Road, Haslingden opened 1902. I don't know where Haslingden Catholics were buried before then.

Cowban