Author Topic: 1871 Census?  (Read 279 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1871 Census?
« on: Friday 24 May 19 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Iíve just been scrolling through all my downloaded scans, and am amazed how poor all the 1871 census scans are. Some I downloaded from Ancestry, and others from FindMyPast - both types are incredibly pixelated and look almost washed-out. Is there a reason for this? 1861 and 1881 census records look perfectly clear, and I havenít seen other censuses like this.

Iíd be interested in any responses,

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 May 19 18:42 BST (UK) »
From my experience 1871 censuses are no better and no worse than those for other years.

Perhaps if you gave a few examples of the ones you are having this difficulty with then other people could look them up and say whether they too experience the difficulties you have or whether they can see them fine.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 May 19 18:53 BST (UK) »
Itís not a specific example, itís just that every single 1871 Census scan I have is of a much poorer quality to all the other censuses.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 May 19 19:00 BST (UK) »
Itís not a specific example, itís just that every single 1871 Census scan I have is of a much poorer quality to all the other censuses.

In that case could it be something on your machine or that you were doing at the time that caused this. I must admit I have not found the 1871 to be a problem
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.