Author Topic: Nottingham stopping ground-Smiths Field? Help  (Read 12605 times)

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nottingham stopping ground-Smiths Field? Help
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 07 September 19 22:25 BST (UK) »

Saturday 20 May 1837
 Leicester Chronicle
  Leicestershire

A Gipsy Named Smith Was charged with breaking a window at the Crown and Magpie beer_bouse,  because the landlady refused to furnish him with spirits, for the very sufficient reason that she had none on the premises. A policeman joked to the violence of the prisoner's conduct, and the Mayor asked him if he had any ques- tions to put to the witness. Prisoner (surveying the policeman): Really I don't know — is this the man as took me? (Loud laughter.) I was so tossicated in liquor at the time, I don't recollect him ; and I'm sure i didn't know I was at the Crown and Magpie — l thought I was at the Waggon and Horses. (Laughter.) The Mayor : I have to congratulate you, Sir, on the great improvement in your appearauce since I first saw you— you were then as dirty and as wretched a looking object as could possibly be, but the gaol has altered you for the better. Prisoner: I was always likely to look lost and dirty, when the Police pulled me about so. The Mayor : Did the Police pull that long beard into existence which you wore when you first made your appearance ? (Laughter.) The prisoner admitted that the Police were not answer- able for his beard, and, in reply to the Bench, said, that he lived in the lanes with his wife in the warm weather, but was not a gipsy altogether : he had led a wandering life from his birth, like his father before him. The landlady stated that the gipsy's friends had re- paired the window, and the Magistrates then said that the prisoner had rendered himself liable to a fine of £5 but they would mitigate it to 5 s. and the costs, or, in default, seven — " I'll pay the fine for him, your honour," exclaimed a gruff voice from the body of the room. The Mayor: You're so prompt, that you make us almost regret we did not inflict the whole penalty— l don't doubt but you would have paid the £5 for your friend as cheerfully as the 5 s. (Laughter.)

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 07 September 19 22:26 BST (UK) »
Saturday 17 September 1831
  Leicester Chronicle
  Leicestershire

On Monday last, two the gipsy tribe, Matthew Smith, and Charlotte Eiliott, were married Loughborough, each them had been married before, and a great concourse of people were albe to witness the sight.

Saturday 14 April 1827
  Leicester Chronicle
  Leicestershire

Loughborough, on the 6th int. Mary Ann, wife of Mr.T. Smith, higgler

Saturday 14 January 1826
  Leicester Chronicle
  Leicestershire

Tobias Clayton, gipsy, or travelling tinker, was found guilty of stealing a copper, the property of Mr. Jemeson, Basset House, Thurlaston, on 

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 07 September 19 22:31 BST (UK) »
these are just extracts in there full accounts you may find more information, signe onto the British newspaper archives web site they are a good bunch of like minded genealogy folk who will help you navigate their fine and great web site, the cost is minimal

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 14 September 19 17:04 BST (UK) »
GEORGE OXBY SMITH "Gypsy Smith" 1868-1941.
 He also used the alias Clayton.
George Oxby Smith was about in 1868 Stanton, Nr Bingham, Nottinghamshire, he was the son of John (Johnny) Smith bn 1833 Tur Langton, Leicestershire s/o Samuel Smith 1791-1864 and Reservoy (Reservoir) Smith 1796-1860, I think they were Uncle and Niece... George’s mother was Maria Smith bn Scalford, Leicestershire, d/o Levi Smith bn 1810 and Sophia Smith born 1811-
George's Father Johnny also had another partner at the same time (I believe the "wives" were also sisters) both wives were his 1st cousins.

1871 - He is encamped with his father, his father’s 2 "wives" and all their children in Snenton, Notts.

1881 - He is again encamped with his father, his father’s 2 "wives" and children in Pickwell, Leicestershire.

1891 - I can't find him, but by this time he has formed a partnership with Ellen Clayton bn about 1873 (not been able to find anything on her before being with George Smith – she possibly died 1912 Nottingham, but not sure at all.

1901 – I cannot find him.

1911 - He is now in Nottingham at 12 Nelson Square, Nelson St, Nottingham - A Hawker of drapery goods.  He's with Ellen Clayton, they say on the census Married 20yrs 13 children born alive, 8 living, 5 had died.  Children with them on this census are:
Angelina 15
Mente 14
Alfred 12
Esperella (Esmeralda) 7
John 4
Frank 2
All the children are said to be born in Leicester.  I have the birth cert for Esmeralda as mentioned previously in this thread - she was born 25 Feb 1904 in a Van on Robert Street, Leicester.

Some of the children used the surname Clayton-Smith at times.

On 27 Jul 1912 George Smith married in Nottingham Registry Office Agnes White bn 5 Nov 1893 - 1982.  He gives his age as 35 (he was really 44), gives his occupation as Horse Dealer and her age as 24 (she's really 19) - she was mentioned in a newspaper article in 1936 as being of stout build, with black hair and a sallow complexion. George's Fathers occupation is given a Clothes Dealer, and Agnes's father is Robert White (deceased) Scissor Grinder. Witnesses are A Bacon and E Smith.

1939 Register George and Agnes are living 4 Keswick Street, Snienton, Nottingham with Agnes and some of their children.  Some of George’s other children are living in nearby houses.

Panished has previously helped with Newspaper Articles mentioning and about George Smith which has been really useful…  Thanks.

I will also upload notes I have on George’s Full Siblings and then another upload of his ½ siblings…
Smith, Plumb, Booth, Slater, Purdy, Clayton, Loveridge
Gray, Parker, Elliott, Wright, Towle, Wesseldine, Margot's, Bacon, Blankley, Goodwin, Stafford.

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 14 September 19 17:05 BST (UK) »
George Smith full siblings are
(Children of John (Johnny 2 wives) and Maria Smith).

Menty - Cinamenta Smith   1856-1949
Bn 24 Dec 1856 Eastwell, Leicestershire
Marr 12 Mar 1888 in Kegworth, Leicestershire. 
Died 1949 Leicester, Leicestershire.
Amos and Menty had the following children:
Maria Towle 1889 - died before 1891
Emma Towle 1890-1891
John Towle 1891 2 Oct - 1939 reg he is a General Dealer living near his Mum in her Van.Charlotte Ann Towle 1893-1893
Eliza Towle 1894-1895
Alice Towle 1896-1898
Hannah (Toll) Towle 1896
Florence (Loodle) Towel 1899-1986
1939 Van, Thornbury Rd, Coalville, Leicester - her Grandson, John Smith, Rag gatherer is with her.

Isaiah Smith 1860-
Bn Nov 1860 Willoughby on the wolds - died 1868 Bingham, Nottinghamshire.
Died before 1871.

Levi Smith 1863-1864
Bn Jan 1863
Died 1863/4
Buried 2 Jan 1864 Croxton Kerrial, Leicestershire.

William Smith  1864-1947
Bn 12 Nov 1864 Willoughby on the wolds, Nottinghamshire.
Bp 14 Nov 1864 Willoughby on the Wolds.
Died 1947 Nottingham.
Partnered with Minnie Bacon 1870-1955
children:
Rose (Rosie) Smith bn 1892 (I have no proof of this, but a good hunch).
Emma Smith bn 1893 Hathern, Leicestershire.
William Smith bn 1896 Eastwood, Notts
Polly Smith 1900-1917 both Nottingham.
Charles Henry 1904-1943 Both Nottingham.
Rainy Smith 15 Feb 1907 - In a Van, Bosworth Rd, Nottingham - nothing on her after 1911 census.
Sidney 1909-1995 both Nottingham.

Gray, Parker, Elliott, Wright, Towle, Wesseldine, Margot's, Bacon, Blankley, Goodwin, Stafford.

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 14 September 19 17:06 BST (UK) »
Carolina (Selina) Smith
Bn 1866 Bingham, Notts
Bp 5 Aug 1866 St Helen's, Kneeton, Nottinghamshire.
Nothing else on her...

Mary Ann Smith
Bn 6 May 1870 Redhill, Arnold, Nottingham.
Bp 6 May 1870 St Mary's, Arnold, Nottingham.
Died 12 Apr 1949 from Cancer at 161 Ormaston Rd, Derby - her Granddaughter’s house.
She was said to be a small thin woman with long silver hair always tied back and always wore a white pinny.  She was a local midwife and animal healer.

With an unknown partner (possibly a William Smith?)
She had:
Rose Ann Smith bn 1889 ? - died 1930 Derby.

Partnered George Slater 1860-1929 both Derby.
She had the following Children:
Silvery (Silvia Slater) Smith 1894-1980 both Derby
Mary Ann (Slater) Smith 1896-1983 both Derby
Violet (Slater) Smith 1899-1981 both Derby
Matilda (Tilda/Hilda Slater) Smith 1902-1995 both Derby

Samuel Smith
Bn Mar 1872 Arkwright St, Nottingham
Bp 10 Mar 1872 St Saviour’s, Nottingham
died before 1891

Hezekial (Kezia) Smith 
1881 census he is down as Kezia (Female), and also on baptism Kesia? – Horse Groom Assistant in Derby.
1891 census as Hezekial (male)?
bp 17 Nov 1873 Holy Trinity, Kimberley, Nottinghamshire.
no trace after 1891

Florence (Flory/Florrie) Smith
Bn 1876 Goadby Marwood, Leicestershire.
Bp 24 Mar Goadby Marwood
Nothing on her after the 1881 census.

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 14 September 19 17:07 BST (UK) »
Joseph Smith
Bn 4 Jan 1878 Breedon on the Hill, Leicestershire
Bp 19 Jan 1878 Breedon on the Hill
Died Apr qtr 1957 in Nottingham.
He's on the 1881 census and a Newspaper article in Feb 1893 in Evaston Derbyshire with his Mother Maria and Brother-in-law Amos Towle.  The appears on the 1939 register in a caravan with his sister Charlotte Ann Smith (bn1881) in a Caravan, Holborn Place, Nottingham - living with his sister Charlotte Ann (Annie) both Amusement caterers.  Encamped nearby is a group of Showmen including Sonny Brinkley and Lily Wesseldine (she is his niece) and Adolphus Brinkley and Rosie Smith (his niece d/o of his brother William Smith) who later went on to live in the house at 2 Pegg Terrace, Essex Street, Nottingham - Info from Panished made this connection for me - Thanks  :)

Charlotte Ann (Annie) Smith
Bn 5 Apr 1881 Pickwell, Nottinghamshire
Bp 7 Apr 1881 Pickwell,
Died Sep qtr 1954 Basford, Notts.
I have her on the 1891 census, then nothing until the 1939 register where she is with her brother Joseph and Nieces encamped in Holborn Place, Nottingham.

I will post what I have on the children of John (Johnny 2 Wives) Smith have his 2nd "wife"
Carolina (Coralana/Selina) Smith bn 1832 Freeby, Leicestershire. As soon as I get it typed.

Please feel free to correct me - or add any other information you may have - and ask any questions...

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Saturday 14 September 19 19:38 BST (UK) »
 Hi Kizi

Thank you for helping me, i will read your posts many times to learn as much as i can, well done you have gathered much knowledge and let me and others here on RootsChat share your hard work, i am sure everyone is most gratefull and appreciate your efforts to understand the past Peoples, i am sure to that they would agree that you are indeed a fine upstanding person who wishers only to learn and help others, thank you again i will look into your great research i am sure there is more to come, i have been collecting records for you from Leicestershire, some may contain a name that triggers something in your mind, or maybe a location, or just a feeling that may lead you to look fuller into the said record story, when i find more i will post them here for you, if none are a big connection for you you will still learn though of the bigger wider picture, this is very important, thank you again i will write another time to

michaelx

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Saturday 14 September 19 20:16 BST (UK) »

1871 - He is encamped with his father, his father’s 2 "wives" and all their children in Snenton, Notts.

of course as you know that is where i was born, that is where the Smiths was, and Letty, of the Famouse Holmes, they are to Gipsys in your long Family, wild is the truth, wild i was born, wild is my talk, only the wild would and will give me a moment, strange is the stranger, they keep to their own