Author Topic: Nottingham stopping ground-Smiths Field? Help  (Read 12610 times)

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nottingham stopping ground-Smiths Field? Help
« Reply #81 on: Thursday 19 September 19 20:57 BST (UK) »
Saturday 26 July 1902
 Nottingham Evening Post
  Nottinghamshire

MAN Wanted, Milk, Plough, and make himself useful on a farm.—Apply to Mr. W. Sheppard, Thurgarton street, Sneinton ...

Tuesday 22 June 1909
 Nottingham Evening Post
 Nottinghamshire

SUDDEN DEATH OF A NOTTM. VICAR’S WIFE. The death occurred yesterday at the vicarage. Sneinton-dale, Mrs. Bertha Dodds, the wife of the Rev. M. A. Dodds, the vicar of St. Phillip's Church. Pennyfoot -street. On Sunday Mrs. Dodds had bilious attack

Wednesday 19 March 1919
 Nottingham Evening Post
  Nottinghamshire

NOTTS. MINERS' STRIKE
 EFFECT ON THE ELECTRICITY Addressing the members the Trent Ward No. 2 Conservative Association at the Lord Nelson Inn, Thurgarton-street, Sneinton Hollows, Nottingham, last night, Mr. R. H. Swain referred to the effect which the miners' strike would have upon ...

Tuesday 22 February 1938
  Nottingham Journal
  Nottinghamshire

TRENT WARD LIBERALS An Enthusiastic Meeting at Sneinton Considerable enthusiasm was displayed at a well-attended meeting at the Trent Ward Liberal Association at the Lord Nelson INN, Thurgarton-street, Sneinton, last night…… 

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Thursday 19 September 19 20:59 BST (UK) »
Thursday 21 February 1946
 Nottingham Evening Post
 Nottinghamshire

“POST” QUIZ PICTURES More Interesting Details With reference to the Post quiz pictures,  THE OLD HORSE BUS. Mrs. Thompson, of 134, Egypt-road. New Basford, commenting on a recent quiz picture of the Sneinton horsebus, says: “I lived on Trent-road when it was called Thurgarton-street, and I well remember Mr. C. Manfull shop. Across the road was Mr. Lilly’s grocery and P. O., and a few doors below on Trent-road was Mr. Callendine. I also remember quite well St. Christopher’s Church being built. We were the first tenants on Trent-road on that side overlooking the Vicarage . We lived there 17 years, and my father, Mr. A. Barber, was one of the first members of the church at the bottom of the Sneinton-boulevard, and there is a stone in the wall to the memory of my dear mother. We were great friends of Mr. and Mrs. Gregg and also other prominent people of the Trent Ward, as my mother held the position of president and other offices for many years. By the way. the bus used to come up Sneinton-road and round the corner of Trent-road previous to going along the Hermitage, and many a time I have been on and expected to be thrown in the road, but it- was fun and worth it. I may say that Sneinton-dale was worth living down then but. alas, it has all gone now. I look forward to your quiz pictures, and we save them, and ray my husband and I have little guesses where they are,
so keep them up.”

Saturday 14 December 1946
 Nottingham Evening Post
  Nottinghamshire

This delightful rural spot was what is now a well-developed residential area of Nottingham. Where do you think the picture was taken and approximately when? ...

Monday 16 December 1946
 Nottingham Evening Post
  Nottinghamshire

Saturday’s “Post” Quiz Picture in Our quiant picture on Saturday was of a spot at Sneinton. The pathway in the field is now Lord Nelson-street, the field was then known as Hornbuckle Field, the residence is St. Philip’s Vicarage and the gateway is where Lord Nelson-street joins Sneinton-dale. And the picture was 50 years old………… . 

Tuesday 17 December 1946
  Nottingham Evening Post
  Nottinghamshire

SNEINTON MEMORIES Revived By “Post” Quiz Picture The appended interesting letters have been forwarded as a result of Saturday’s Post quiz picture. They certainly have revived happy memories. The first is from Mrs. Hockley, 11, Loscoe-terrace, Church-drive, Nottingham: Your quiz picture on Saturday night was a photo of myself, sisters, and brother, taken about 54 or 55 years ago. it is in a field called Hornbuckle. those days, the vicarage at the back was at the end of Thurgarton-street. “The photo was taken one Saturday morning.” The second comes from Mr. H. Birch. Holmeleigh, Hoveringham: Your quiz picture on Saturday it was a treat to see. I had been through the old swing gate times and times before St. Philip's Vicarage was built, in fact it started building before the bricklayers arrived. How the poplar stands out in the old Gipsy field. The Gipsies used to come every year. The footpath leading to the White Houses and Thurgarton-street with the cottages and farm yards, was a pretty spot.  All the farmers were named Shepherd. Sixty to 64 years ago Old Sneinton was very rural. It even had the hunt meet facing the Hollows Your picture was before the L.N.W.R. bridge was built over the Dale. “It is all a pleasant memory.”

Wednesday 18 June 1947
  Nottingham Evening Post
  Nottinghamshire

OLD SNEINTON
 Nottingham: CHARMS OF OLD SNEINTON. Your latest quis brings back many happy recollections of youth The subject shown, the Sneinton pin fold, was immediately near to Bill Sheppard’s farm yard. I specify Bill as his brother Sam had ...

Offline gypsygal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Sunday 09 August 20 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am new to genealogy and RootsChat so please bear with me.
Your posts are really interesting and packed with information. Absolom is one of my ancestors and this post gives a wonderful description of him. He must have had some wealth. I am wondering who actually wrote it and now I am interested in Beatta. Well, I am interested in it all, especially when I come across a gem like this. Thanks

Offline tambourine83

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Thursday 10 March 22 11:21 GMT (UK) »
I have connections to an Israel Smith, who was in Nottingham in 1914 and was suspected of being my Mother's father, he had a brother in Nottingham and Israel was a traveller.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline maryniamh1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Thursday 04 August 22 12:13 BST (UK) »
hi my great grandmother was Esmerelda( espirella smith) one of the daughters to George oxby Smith and Ellen Clayton .I never got too meet the woman as she died before I was born but I've always felt a strong connection to her and her culture. unfortunately she left my grandmother when she was a baby with my grandad and no one knows where she went or why. I wondered if you had any information on her I would love too know.