Author Topic: Where was my uncle Albert born?  (Read 3829 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where was my uncle Albert born?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 May 19 11:50 BST (UK) »
Wish it was journeyman then the family is right there in Battersea, but other sibs in that family marry either side of 1907 and say father is Joseph a carpenter.

A journeyman could refer to a journeyman carpenter. However, I can't make this anything but a Dairyman.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 May 19 11:56 BST (UK) »
Search for Flora Jane McDonald b 1877 father Joseph Battersea to find in 1881 and 1891 censuses then her marriage to Walter Sidney Callow

That does look like the family though.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 May 19 14:03 BST (UK) »
William McDonald 19yrs b Battersea is a soldier in 1901
991/79/13
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 May 19 15:14 BST (UK) »
All records for Albert W, so far, seem to suggest he was born late 1882/1883. He's  a 'conduit cleaner' on his marriage cert.   Witnesses were James Augustus Britten and Frederick Thomas Ash. James looks like Annie's father. It might be worth checking up on Frederick Ash  :-\

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 May 19 03:03 BST (UK) »
Hate to pour water on what seemed to be a favourable scenario - Flora Jane McDonald and the William McDonald who is a soldier are indeed brother and sister BUT this William enlisted 12/4/1900 into the Royal Marines (Gunner) and served right through continually until 1921 then went to pension.  His mother Emma McDonald of 7 Basnett Road is next of kin.   The family lived at that address 1881/1891 with just Emma there in 1901.   (Parents Joseph McDonald and Emma Crowder married Mar.qtr.1873 Luton, Bedfordshire - Joseph a House Joiner bc.1832 Scotland and Emma bc.1843 High Ercall, Shropshire).  William's birth was 10/4/1881 (when admitted to Gideon Road School in 1888) but Royal Marines enlistment states 3/4/1881.

So back to square one with Albert William McDonald I'm afraid - as already stated, birthdate given as 10/11/1882 in 1939 which ties in exactly with the age of 32 years 3 months that he gave when he enlisted 8/2/1915 - however, no corresponding birth entry to be found in this name in the Lambeth area where he states he was born.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 May 19 03:17 BST (UK) »
"Wish it was journeyman then the family is right there in Battersea, but other sibs in that family marry either side of 1907 and say father is Joseph a carpenter."

Do you know if Joseph was deceased on the other marriages? I can't find him in 1901. Also Gadjet said "it says his father was a Dairyman? Sometimes this was used as a euphemism for 'not known"
Annie's father was James Augustus Collason Britten.
Joseph could of married  Emma Lester Leaney in 1873.
Albert William could be the William on the 1881 and 1891 census's for Basnett Grove, Battersea. Basnett Grove is half a mile from Bewick St, Battersea where Albert and Annie lived in 1911.
Clutching at straws here. ;D

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 May 19 03:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Annette you just broke my straw, like you say back to square one. ???

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 May 19 03:34 BST (UK) »
I've been racking my brain for memories of uncle Albert, I was only about 10 or 12 then. He was always smartly dressed in a suit and had a fob chain and pocket watch. He rolled his own cigarettes with 3 Castles tobacco. He was a quiet softly spoken person and could of had a slight Cornish accent, it definitely was'nt Scottish and maybe not London. Aunt Annie was a very dominating person.
I have his WW1 records on Ancestry but no sub at the moment so I can't view them but on FamilySearch it definitely says born Cornwall.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 May 19 04:34 BST (UK) »

I have his WW1 records on Ancestry but no sub at the moment so I can't view them but on FamilySearch it definitely says born Cornwall.

you can see it for free on Fold 3 until Tuesday

https://www.fold3.com/image/413207816

But, I have to say I've looked at it again, i think it's about the 5th time, and I do not see Cornwall anywhere on it.