Author Topic: Read family Wiltshire to Australia  (Read 1881 times)

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Read family Wiltshire to Australia
« on: Saturday 25 May 19 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, any chance of verifying whether Eliza bp.1831 & Edgar Read bp. 1837 both born Donhead St. Mary, Wiltshire travelled to Australia.  They He would probably have been with their his father John Read (c1800 England - 1862 Yass, NSW) and stepmother Mary Ann née Burridge (b. 1811 Wiltshire) who travelled on the Coromandel arriving 2 October 1838. I know that another child John Read (b.c.1832 in Donhead St. Mary) travelled with John & Mary Anne as he is noted on the Assisted Immigrant Passenger List. No mention of Eliza or Edgar.

There is a death of an Eliza Reed in 1898 in Adelaide.  She is aged 66 (giving a birth year of 1832) and her father's name is listed as John Reed. This is a good candidate for my Eliza bp. 1831 but I can't find any record of her travel to Australia. I can't find any evidence of Edgar in Australia but neither can I find evidence of him or Eliza having remained in Wiltshire.

No experience of research in Australia so any help appreciated please.

Thanks, Pheno

Modified to reduce query to seeking Edgar only as Eliza is not in fact their child!
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Read family Wiltshire to Australia
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 May 19 23:25 BST (UK) »
I have looked at the passenger lists for Coromandel October, 1838, as I am sure you have also, and within all the information  about the origins, occupations and parents of the people, there is not a mention of an infant travelling with them.

Child John completes the threesome.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 May 19 23:56 BST (UK) »
I agree with Sue,  no Edgar listed on that passenger list.  The digitised image is freely available via NSW archives.

If Mary Ann was Edgar's mum rather than his step mum,  then perhaps he was still only being nursed by mum and not a separate 'costing' for fare calculations (meals, bed etc)  if so,  sometimes those infants were not individually listed by name .... but I have checked several Bounty databases ... cannot find Edgar READ b1837 arriving to NSW.

Pheno,  can you re-check,  please, do you have your Edgar in NSW ...

:D

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 May 19 02:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Pheno,

There is an article about inquest on a John Reed who died in Yass in 1862
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article102584678   Could this be your man?

There is also a probate packet for the John Reed who died in 1862
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/item/231033
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/series/13660 

I can photograph this for you next time I am at the archives.  It may have a death certificate and will have his will  and details of his heirs, so may give more info about Edgar.

Ros

modified to correct link
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 May 19 07:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks sparrett, majm & rosball.

Yes that is our man who died in Yass in 1862 and although I have seen that newspaper article I have not had sight of the death certificate so a copy of that would be very useful thanks.

Have searched NSW as much as I have been able and have not found any reference to an Edgar Read so he may not have reached Australia.  However there is no sight of him having remained in England either so maybe he died young although haven't found a death record either.

Regards, Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 May 19 08:08 BST (UK) »
I recall civil registration started in England/Wales 1837 but I wonder if Edgar may have succumbed as an infant and no one understood the process to register his death ... is it likely he is buried with his mum?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 May 19 08:16 BST (UK) »
You may be right majm.  His mother was buried in Donhead St. Mary on 19 July 1837.  Edgar's baptism had taken place in Donhead St. Mary on 23 April 1837.  I presume she succumbed as the result of childbirth and maybe he was just so sickly he didn't survive.

His father John remarried on 10 Jan 1838 and arrived in Australia on 2 October that year.

Anyway thanks for looking.

Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 May 19 19:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  Looks like Edgar must have died as he didn't make the trip.

Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire