Author Topic: Help with British Army Uniform (late 1800s)  (Read 960 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Help with British Army Uniform (late 1800s)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 May 19 06:49 BST (UK) »
Glad we could have been of help. Doesn't mean he wasn't British/Canadian. There must have been a railway link or two. Canadian and Australian uniforms closely followed British uniforms until 1945 and later and this uniform ain't either. Good luck with the belt buckle, but I expect it to be American.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 10:28 BST (UK) »
Folk with much more expertise in uniforms of the period who I have consulted on and off line elsewhere are unanimous that the uniform is US military or at least US military based, confirming views expressed here.  The kepi style cap, slightly obscured by the ornate plume, the triple row of buttons, the cuff adornments and the shoulder boards are all characteristics found in US uniforms of the period and most certainly not on British (or Canadian) uniforms.

The belt buckle if identified may link to some specific organisation but otherwise Regorian has it in spades.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 23:54 BST (UK) »
you know Max when I saw the photo before reading the text I immediately thought Confederate army
the style of buckle matches some CS buckles, given that George was in North America just over twenty
year's after the end of the civil war it's an unusually "Southern" style uniform for what we think would be
a Northern state band,as you say a good shot of the buckle would help.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reproduced-CS-Confederate-States-2-Piece-round-Belt-Buckle-Solid-Brass-/152215454309
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)

Offline jaynes77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 June 19 17:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you again, Max and Steve, for the additional information. Unfortunately the originator of the photo is unable to provide a close up of the buckle (but she thinks the second letter is an O and the first possibly an L).
Jayne