Author Topic: Translation from Dutch to English of Death Record - Mathijs van HOOIJDONK  (Read 492 times)

Offline cmatt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My 5x g grandfather, Mathijs van HOOIJDONK was born 1775 in Breda, Netherlands.  He married Cornelia VOERMANS 1793 in Breda, and died 10 September 1826 in Baarle-Nassau.  His occupation was a gardener.

I have attached a copy of the death record, and wondered if someone could please translate it into english for me.

I hope the record may tell how/why he died away from his wife and 9 children still living in Breda at the time of his death.

There are several other records dating to May 1826, 4 months earlier, held under his name in Stadsarchief Breda, but the documents are pages ad pages long, so not able to attach copies here.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Chris

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Translation from Dutch to English of Death Record - Mathijs van HOOIJDONK
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 May 19 07:11 BST (UK) »
I don't know what Hovenier means - I THOUGHT IT WAS A PLACE NAME - BUT YOU SAY HE DIED IN Baarle- Nassau in 1826
anyway - this man has their tree back to 1708

https://gw.geneanet.org/joskerkhoven?n=van+hooijdonk&oc=&p=mathijs

good luck  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 May 19 08:43 BST (UK) »
Oh dear! ;D Baarle Nassau ::)

The borders between Netherlands and Belgium are very complicated in this areas.
There are Belgian enclaves within the Netherlands, and Dutch enclaves within Belgium!

There are even sub-enclaves within enclaves :o

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baarle-Nassau
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 May 19 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hovenier, a gardener!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 May 19 09:41 BST (UK) »
Breda and Baarle Nassau are only 20 k's apart. The document says that he was born and resident in Breda, so it seems that his stay in Baarle Nassau was temporary. Maybe was visting or maybe he had a job there as he was a "hovenier" i.e. a fancy gardener.

PS the quality of the uploaded part of the document is too hard to read. I had to find the original first: https://images.memorix.nl/tlb/download/fullsize/4949d23a-946b-0794-d0ae-12d2ccc06f94.jpg (Note: I'm not sure whether the link to this downloadable image is persistant)

Offline BelgianAncestry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Local Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 May 19 13:29 BST (UK) »
No. 30
In the year 1826 on 11 September at 4 o'clock in the afternoon appeared before us Mayor and servant of the civil service of the community of Baarle Nassau, district of Breda, Province of North Brabant; Hendrik van Hooijdonck, pork butcher, 24 years old, son of the deceased, and Jan Klasen, linen weaver, 37 years old, neighbour, the first residing in Breda, the second in this community
[Baarle Nassau] who have declared that the 10th of this month  at four o'clock in the afternoon, in the house of the second person, District F No 161, has died Mathys van Hooydonck, gardener, in marriage with Cornelie Voermans, 52 years old, born and residing in Breda, son of Mathys and of Lucia van Boxsel, both deceased. After the reading of this record the first witness signed with us, the second declared not to be able to write.

Offline cmatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Translation from Dutch to English of Death Record - Mathijs van HOOIJDONK
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 May 19 09:50 BST (UK) »
Thank-you to all who provided answers to my topic to translate the death record of Mathijs van Hooijdonk.

Thank you very much to BelgianAncestry H e l p for the translation. 

Perhaps I was reading too much into the fact that he was away from home when he died.  He probably  had a job in Baarle-Nassau, and unfortunately died there.

Many thanks . . . Chris