Author Topic: South Wales Borderers  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Smileytooth1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
South Wales Borderers
« on: Sunday 26 May 19 20:09 BST (UK) »
Good evening,
I am trying to track down information relating to my grandfather:
Walter John Lodge born 1907 - Romford,
joined the army 05/1926, Regiment of royal artillery. DOB: given 05/01/1907, in Parish of Ilford, county of mid Essex, his discharge: Private Walter John Lodge, 1st Battalion, South Wales Bordered, date of discharge 26/07/1926 DOB given 28/02/1907, Army no: 3906497.
Cannot find any trace of him on the census. believe his mother to be Lilla Emma Lodge, born 1886 Dunmow, died 1912, although there is a record for Lily Emma Tribe, same details married to a William John Tribe - having child Walter John Tribe same information relating to Walter J Lodge.
On researching it appears he was brought up by the Braintree Guardians and put out to work in Wales, stating he had no parents.
Any information that may help I would love to hear. my mother is keen to find out, he sadly died in 1945 when mum was 2 and my nan never gave any information away regarding his upbringing.
Kind regards
Tania

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: South Wales Borderers
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 May 19 20:25 BST (UK) »
William J Tribe married Lily Lodge March qtr 1909 Romford reg district.  4a   461

Walter is with them on the next census
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Smileytooth1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 May 19 20:28 BST (UK) »
I have found this just not sure if Walter Tribe is same as Walter John Lodge, its confusing 😊

Online philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 May 19 01:51 BST (UK) »
Greetings, and a warm welcome to Rootschat.

I checked on the General Register Office index and couldn't find a Walter LODGE (or TRIBE) born in Essex from 1906 to 1908.

It may be necessary to order the marriage certificate of William TRIBE and Lily LODGE to see what her father's name was. (It is possible that LODGE was not her maiden name).

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 May 19 04:55 BST (UK) »
I agree with Philip you will need to get that marriage cert to see what it says.

There is this illegitimate birth

BROWN, WALTER  JOHN     - 
GRO Reference: 1907  M Quarter in ROMFORD  Volume 04A  Page 551

And I cannot find this Walter John Brown subsequently (although at least two others with that name were born that year, bit not in Essex)

But I also cannot see a  Brown/Lodge marriage that might work.

What did your grandfather put on his own marriage certificate for his father? Anything?

I presume the information you have about Braintree Guardians etc you got from that newspaper article about stealing the bike?

Offline Smileytooth1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 May 19 09:10 BST (UK) »
On my grandfather's marriage certificate it states "father" uknown.
The marriage between William Tribe + Lily Tribe state they have been married 3 years, yet on the cenus for the family Walter is on there at aged 4 years old, so clearly there's no hiding that he wasn't born in that marriage!
The mention of Walter Brown?? - I do have search for Lilla E Lodge/with parent G Brown Crane, my nan always said that Walter was born by Lilla getting herself into trouble/pregnant by head of the house, so this could be another link!!
I have got the newspaper articles about stealing bike, and there is another one on Walter J Lodge for cruelty to kicking + killing a dog.
My brain is bamboozled at trying to tie all the pieces together :(

Offline Smileytooth1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 May 19 09:27 BST (UK) »
I have attached from what I have found on Ancestry: Walter John Tribe, it seems correct with the Lily Emma (Tribe) 1885-1912 being Walter's Mother, who I believe to be Lilla Emma Lodge.

Online philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 May 19 18:55 BST (UK) »
Walter John BROWN (no mother's maiden name on the GRO index) whose birth was registered March quarter 1907 in Romford is a candidate.  However, the information on the Ancestry timeline does not fit - a birth date of 4 Nov 1907 would mean a birth registered in Dec qtr 1907 or Mar qtr 1908.  It is of course unwise to take information on trees posted online at face value unless they are supported by proper documentation.  The original post states that Walter John gave his birth date as 5 Jan 1907 which would fit with a Mar qtr 1907 registration.

I had a look on FreeBMD to see if there were any Walter BROWN deaths between 1907 and 1911 which could relate to the Romford birth - no deaths for Walter John, about a dozen for Walter but none in Romford.

To be certain, we would need to check all the Walter BROWN deaths on FreeBMD to match them against births.  If the Walter John registered in Romford 1907 can be proved not to have died, and if he cannot be found on the 1911 census or a passenger list between 1907 and 1911 this would strengthen the case.  To confirm or refute him the final step would be to order his birth certificate - if his mother is named as Lilla (or any variation) this would be strong evidence.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Toothfairy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Braintree Poor Law Union
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 August 20 20:40 BST (UK) »
Good evening.
Is there a way of finding information relating to Braintree Poor Law Union, (Superintendent of Children's Home)

I am trying to trace my grandfather: Walter John Lodge, born 1907 (Romford) - my nan said he was bought up in an orphanage, I always thought Dr Barnardos but I now have a lead of Braintree Guardians.

Any information I can piece together would be great. His mother is Lilla E Lodge.

Walter died 12th December 1945 Hitchin, Baldock - There is no census on his birth that I can find.

He was enlisted: May 1925 as Private Lodge, 1st Battalion, South Wales Borderers, army no: 3906497 Regiment of Royal Artillery, and was later discharged 26/07/1926 due to being medically unfit.

If anyone can help or point me in the right direction for my search, it would be very much appreicated.

Kind regards
Tania