Author Topic: Bradgate and Jervis  (Read 830 times)

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
Bradgate and Jervis
« on: Monday 27 May 19 10:45 BST (UK) »
I have 2 lines which seem to have by adoption or grant, be in possession of Arms and Crest.

Throughout the 1500s and 1600s the Bradgates of Little Peatling have been styled Gentlemen, Esquires and Armigers.
Thomas Bradgate was assessed of his personal goods at his death in 1539 and was one of the wealthiest in the county being valued more than a few squires put together.
His son Richard purchased the manor of little peatling and at his death in 1572 was in possession of the lordships of Little Peatling and Bruntingthorpe along with a 3000 acre estate. I have a line descending from this Richard's grt grandson, Richard Bradgate, Gent 1590-1655.

I cant find much visuals on the arms.
They are given on the Bradgate pedigree in Nichols backed up with research by Sir William Dugdale to be thus-
Crest- An arm in armour proper, banded with a ribbon vert couped below the elbow bendways, the hand also proper grasping the upper part of a broken lance gu, point downward ar.
Arms- Ar, a Mascle bendways between two lions passant guard gu.

I then have the Jervis line of Great Peatling.
John Jervis/Gerveis purchased the manor in 1567 and his son William Jervis, Esq died 1597 aged 94.
His tomb features the arms.
Nichols and tenous burkes armory gives these arms and just mentions "Granted by Camden"

Crest- A hawks head or, between two wings expanded erm.
Arms- Sa, a chev erm, between three hawks close ar.

Any info on these arms and images would be much appreciated.
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent