Author Topic: Is it Ok to add someone else family tree to a website?  (Read 894 times)

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is it Ok to add someone else family tree to a website?
« on: Monday 27 May 19 11:08 BST (UK) »
I am just wanting a bit of advice. 
I was asked to research the family who built a house which is now a museum. We hoped we could find out more about the couple who had emigrated from Scotland to Australia and possibly find some living relatives - they had no children but lots of siblings. Along the way I found a cousin who fought in Boer War and World War 1 and was awarded medals for bravery.  I tracked his grave to the local cemetery but there is no marker of any sort.
I have become a bit attached to William. He started a grocer's shop and gave credit to striking workers to feed their families, and went bankrupt as a result.  Due to disability from war wounds he lost his job at a time when there was not much financial help for he and his family.
I would like to try to get a stone/marked of some sort put on his grave.  There are grants available towards such markers but I feel I should first try to contact family members.  I am not sure how best to do this.  I know the problems with posting trees online.  I have my own tree online and get I hints that are dubious and suggested links to other trees that are to me a bit shaky.
What are the ethics of putting a tree of people not related to me online?  Is it not the correct thing to post a tree for another family??
Any comments??
Jan
Tomlinson, Gash, Faulkner, Dickinson, Dawson - Lincolnshire
Toms, Street, Witt, Harris, Foot(e) - Hampshire

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is it Ok to add someone else family tree to a website?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 May 19 12:59 BST (UK) »
You can build a tree for anyone you want to. Just apply the usual ethical standards with respect to privacy of living people.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 May 19 13:46 BST (UK) »
You can build a tree for anyone you want to. Just apply the usual ethical standards with respect to privacy of living people.

I think that puts it in a nutshell. 

I host two trees on Ancestry for friends of mine who have died. Both are by way of being a memorial to them. Both are visible and searchable, so that any distant cousins would be able to find them. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 May 19 13:58 BST (UK) »
As I am trying to find living relatives as so far I haven't found any yet there is at this no chance of me breaking the standard of entering living people - but thanks for the reminder it is important.
I hadn't though about a website.  I could set one up for the original couple who migrated - I need to look into that.  I do have some interesting stories I could link in as attention getting items. I might discuss this with other people also involved.  Thanks

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 08:21 BST (UK) »
You could add this family to WikiTree. You may find him and/or his family already there.

https://www.wikitree.com/

Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 09:08 BST (UK) »
I hadn't thought about wikitree (it just comes up with some incorrect or at least dubious links for own tree).  It might give a link to William though.  There are some trees on Ancestry but he or his children are the last people on the branch. 
Thanks for the suggestion.
Jan