Author Topic: Can anyone help?  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Johanna M

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone help?
« on: Monday 27 May 19 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just wonder if anyone can help point me in the right direction with my research. I've researched my deceased adopted maternal grandmother's history and know a lot about her birth family (Kent), her birth (ST Michael's Fellowship home for unmarried mothers in London, 1919) and her subsequent adoption in to a family in Swansea in 1920. I've always wondered why a baby born in London would have been adopted in Wales, whether there was a family connection (no one still alive knows what this could be) and whether the adoption was registered somewhere. St Michael's Fellowship have been incredibly helpful, but their records simply state that my grandmother lived in their home with her mother until Christmas Eve 2019, that she was fostered by a foster mother in Croydon after which she was adopted, with the adoption being arranged by the family. Her adoptive family already had 3 children, so it's always been a mystery as to how and why she ended up with them. I understand that adoptions before 1926 were privately arranged, so I may be reaching a dead end, but thought it might be worth asking if anyone has any advice.  Many thanks, Johanna 

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 May 19 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat,  Johanna.

Looks like you've already done a lot of research!
When you say the adoption was organised by the family, do you mean the birth family or foster family?
Was St Michael's  run by a religious order/ faith?

Looby  :)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 May 19 12:32 BST (UK) »
There is always a possibility that the baby was advertised in a newspaper?
The Adoption Act was brought in to curb the proliferation of babies being sold in such a way :-\
But an adoption arranged by a Church or Church Society would be the most likely course.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Johanna M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 May 19 12:43 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this - some useful pointers.

Offline Johanna M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 May 19 12:48 BST (UK) »
Records said that the adoption was arranged by the birth family.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 May 19 12:57 BST (UK) »
Welcome from me too.

Have you considered DNA testing in case it shows up any links between you and descendants of the Welsh family?

It does seem a little unlikely that a family with 3 children would be going to significant lengths to adopt an unrelated infant from some distance away - unless perhaps they had suffered a loss themselves.

Did the family in Wales go on to have further children?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Johanna M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 May 19 13:03 BST (UK) »
We haven't considered DNA testing and this is actually a very intriguing idea. Yes we've always thought it strange that my grandmother was adopted in to a family with three much older children already - 23 (could this person have been her father we're wondering?), 17 and 15 when she was adopted.  Thanks so much for suggesting such an obvious idea which we haven't thought about!

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 May 19 13:28 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

I think it's definitely worth considering that the 23 year old could possibly be the father.  Pity there wasn't a census taken at about that time and you could find out where he was.  Was her original birth name kept, or was it changed?  Quite often with an illegitimate child there is a clue to the father's identity in the name given.  But of course a DNA match would be all the evidence you need!

Kindest regards
GS

Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Johanna M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 May 19 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reply - her birth name was changed to a name with the same initials! Her birth name had a very unusual middle name (Dudley - which is a strange choice for a girl right??) but there are not Dudleys we know of in her adopted family.