Author Topic: Marriage record marked "cancelled" - I wonder why  (Read 1141 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage record marked "cancelled" - I wonder why
« on: Monday 27 May 19 15:56 BST (UK) »
The marriage register for the parish church of West Hackney has the record of a marriage between Lemuel Voss and Susan Brown on 22 feb 1863. The bride has signed, the groom has made his mark and the two witnesses (William and Mary Ann Brown) have also made their marks. But then the record has been crossed through and "cancelled" written across it. The marriage doesn't appear on FreeBMD so must have been cancelled before records were sent up to registrar.
In 1871 Lemuel is with Susan (described as wife) and four children: William Henry 7, Matilda 6, Harry 3 and Rose 2 in Acton. Also with them is Edwin Brown, described as brother. 
I can't find Matilda's birth registration, but the other three have been registered as Voss with mother's maiden name Brown as if the couple were married.
In 1876, banns were read in St Paul's Hammersmith for Lemuel Voss (B) and Susan Brown (S) on 6th, 13th and 20th February, but it seems no marriage took place. Familysearch has a transcript of a marriage on 20 Feb at St Paul's but there is no record in the register.
Susan Voss died in 1877 aged 36. Lemuel remarried in Enfield as a widower on 2 March 1879 to Sarah Charlotte Hayward (widow - nee Wade).

Can anyone think of a reason why Lemuel and Susan's marriage should be marked cancelled? Both were of age (The witnesses look like they were her parents). I cannot find any evidence of a previous marriage for either. If there was a technicality which made the marriage void, surely they would have married properly again straight away rather than leave it 13 years to start the process then not go through with it. This is really puzzling me!
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage record marked "cancelled" - I wonder why
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 May 19 16:16 BST (UK) »
BOSS, MATILDA  HARRIET
Mother's maiden surname: BROWN     
GRO Reference: 1865  M Quarter in BRENTFORD  Volume 03A  Page 87

Debra  :)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 May 19 16:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that looks like her. I just tried a few spelling variants, but all beginning with V
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 May 19 16:21 BST (UK) »
The explanation is in the register beside the marriage entry.  The banns were published in the name of 'Samuel'. 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 May 19 16:28 BST (UK) »
I was just going to put the marginal note up, when I saw that Dundee had also read it:

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 May 19 16:29 BST (UK) »
He does seem to change between Samuel and Lemuel. His name on birth registration is Samuel. But if  the banns were read in the name of Samuel (his registered name), why didn't the vicar just correct the name on the marriage record. I've seen plenty where that's been done. Also seen the  bride's or groom's names spelt differently by the vicar from the way they spelt it when they signed.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 May 19 16:41 BST (UK) »
From "A Practical Treatise of the Laws Relating to the Clergy, Volume 1"

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 May 19 16:45 BST (UK) »
No, I would say his name was always Lemuel and it has been occasionally recorded/transcribed incorrectly as Samuel.

At the bottom of the GRO index page showing his birth you will see "Noticed a problem with a record in the GRO Indexes?  You can report it to GRO and help us improve the quality of information available."

Just click on it and submit a query and they will check the original, though it may be incorrectly recorded on the original as well.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 June 19 16:21 BST (UK) »
''In 1876, banns were read in St Paul's Hammersmith for Lemuel Voss (B) and Susan Brown (S) on 6th, 13th and 20th February, but it seems no marriage took place. Familysearch has a transcript of a marriage on 20 Feb at St Paul's but there is no record in the register."

Common practice, unfortunately. Transcribers are asked to transcribe the 3rd date of reading of banns as the date of marriage.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go