Author Topic: Help please, Arter/Arthur ?  (Read 723 times)

Offline ollies- mum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please, Arter/Arthur ?
« on: Monday 27 May 19 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi there, does anyone have a minute to cast their eye over this please ? Sorry, It' a long one.
It's been driving me crackers  ::)
My 3x gt grandmother Elizabeth Jenkins married Benjamin Willcox in 1882. Her father is listed as Samuel Jenkins, Blacksmith ( deceased)

1861 census Freeth St, Oldbury, Elizabeth Willcox has her mother living with her. Margaret Hill from Frome in somerset

1851 census Freeth St Oldbury, Margaret Hile, aged 50 with daughter Elizabeth Otter aged 17

1841 census Freeth St, Oldbury. John Hill 50, Marget 40, 3 children plus Elizabeth Hill aged 9

1837- 26th June Marriage between Maragret Arter ( widow) and John Hill ( widower )

1837 -30th April Burial Samuel Arter aged 55

1814- 2nd December, Frome, Somerset Marriage between Margaret Jenkins and Samuel Arthur of the 1st Royal Dragoons

1782- 27th May, Christening of Samuel Arter, Oldbury by Halesowen.

There are records for a Samuel ( saml ) Arthur on Find my past for the 1st Royal Dragoons. Could these give me any idea of where and when Samuel signed up and why he was discharged ?

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Help please, Arter/Arthur ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 May 19 19:47 BST (UK) »
Enlisted June 1804 in Dudley.  Discharged due to reduction in the establishment of the regiment. But he had served 20 years..so basically would have served his time.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ollies- mum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 May 19 19:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you gortonboy
I didn't know that he had enlisted in Dudley, I presumed it was in Somerset where he married. I couldn't understand why he was there.
Once again , many thanks

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 May 19 20:56 BST (UK) »
At Elizabeth's marriage 1852 (not 1882?) the 2 witnesses were Joseph Jenkins and Priscilla Jenkins (census indicates they were husband and wife so Joseph Jenkins was Elizabeth's brother?

I'm confused - why were Elizabeth and Joseph both 'Jenkins' as adults when it was actually their mothers maiden name and not their fathers name?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ollies- mum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 May 19 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette,
 I have no idea why they used their mothers maiden name except that it was easier than trying to use Arter ?. Elizabeth was listed as Elizabeth Otter on the 1851 census and her father Samuel is both Arter and Arthur. Margaret marked her name with a cross when she remarried so she obviously couldn't write.

Also Margaret married 2 months after Samuel died and over in Handsworth where nobody knew them !
And yes Elizabeth got married in 1852 ( sorry )

Offline ollies- mum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 May 19 21:14 BST (UK) »
Annette,
 Yes, Joseph was Elizabeth's brother.

Thank you for taking a look at it for me  :)