Author Topic: Warburton's of Lymm - Mary Ellen Bowers Warburton  (Read 503 times)

Offline jessieanne93

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Warburton's of Lymm - Mary Ellen Bowers Warburton
« on: Monday 27 May 19 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

This is my first post so I hope I am doing it right. I was wondering if anyone had any information on the below -

My great great grandma was called Louie Pollard (nee Warburton, born 1880 in Altrincham).

Through census data I have found her mothers name is Mary Ellen Bowers Warburton (nee Nicholson). Mary Ellen was married to George Warburton and lived at Radley Hill, Lymm.

This is where the plot thickens.. so there is a family story that says Louie was mixed race (that her father was black - not sure where from though). If this is the case, then it is extremely unlikely that Louie is George's biological daughter (as Warburton is a strong local name in the area). My grandad also mentioned that the Manchester Ship Canal was being built near by at the time and this could possibly have something to do with it? Who knows!

Does anyone have any information on this at all? Any help is much appreciated as i am not sure where to find information on Louies biological father - if this is possible at all.

I still live locally - the family didnt move far!

Mary Ellen Bowers Warburton (nee Nicholson) was born in 1847, married George in 1864 and had Louie in 1880. Louie was the last child of theirs (judging by census data).

I know it is a long shot, but thanks in advance!

Jess

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Warburton's of Lymm - Mary Ellen Bowers Warburton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 May 19 23:18 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

I notice that Louie was baptised rather belatedly (22 Feb 1897, Odd Rode) in contrast to her siblings who seem to have been baptised in infancy or early childhood.  I wonder whether that points to something unusual about the circumstances of her birth?  Not necessarily - maybe they just didn’t get around to it.

She certainly seems to have been accepted by George as his daughter - and together with sister Eliza was one of the executors of his will in due course.

Do any family photographs survive?

Have you considered genealogical DNA testing to see whether that throws up anything of interest?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)