Author Topic: Were sponsors' maiden names used on baptism records?  (Read 2120 times)

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Re: Were sponsors' maiden names used on baptism records?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 May 19 13:34 BST (UK) »
In parts of Kerry (I think particularly Dingle) I understand that the woman kept their maiden names after marriage.
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 31 May 19 15:22 BST (UK) »
I agree eadaoin and probably so would anyone who learned Irish in school in Ireland for many years

Peig Sayers Bn Uí Guithín; being the wife of Paádraig Ó Guithín but nearly always known as Peig Sayers.

The difficulty here really is that the names of the sponsor will be the name she used and determining if what that actually was!

My Grandmother was known as Mrs Peter which was neither her first or last name but her husband's first name. If some one wrote that down I'll never find some records!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 31 May 19 15:58 BST (UK) »
I agree eadaoin and probably so would anyone who learned Irish in school in Ireland for many years

Peig Sayers Bn Uí Guithín; being the wife of Paádraig Ó Guithín but nearly always known as Peig Sayers.

Correction, not anyone, only those who had a breeze notion what Peig was going on about. :D

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 June 19 14:44 BST (UK) »
My impression is that the answer is sometimes.  It depends on the parish.

Sometimes it seems evident that it is a married couple acting as sponsors, and they give the wife's maiden name.  I've seen virtual confirmation of this, in one family, as the putative couple seems to have had a daughter that later married into the family to which they were acting as sponsors.

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 June 19 15:05 BST (UK) »
My impression is that the answer is sometimes.  It depends on the parish.

Sometimes it seems evident that it is a married couple acting as sponsors, and they give the wife's maiden name.  I've seen virtual confirmation of this, in one family, as the putative couple seems to have had a daughter that later married into the family to which they were acting as sponsors.

This is what I am seeing, as well. I have a few sponsors where the name is that of a married couple, but it appears the maiden name is used. So for example John Ahern and Joanna Doody, but they are married so it should say John Ahern and Joanna Ahern. It's a small enough town that I am looking at that I know there are no other Joanna Doodys in the right age range, so I'm pretty sure this must be the same person.