Author Topic: Looking for Great Grandparents  (Read 2161 times)

Offline mpa_web

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Great Grandparents
« on: Tuesday 28 May 19 16:10 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for the parents of my 2nd Great-Grandfather, John Flannery.

He was:
Born abt 1822 in Kings County
Married 1844, Mary Kavanaugh in County Clare
Immigrated to Canada (first Quebec and then Ontario) 1849

Children: Patrick (b in Ireland 1845--my great grandfather), Margaret, James, Michael, MaryAnn, and John.

Died in Mara, Ontario 1890.

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Great Grandparents
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 16:14 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at all the Canadian records available? Were any of the children born in Quebec? Sometimes, especially for new arrivals, the baptism record might say the county in Ireland that the parents were from? Did Canadian counties have biographical histories of the "prominent" settlers, as did the US ones? Sometimes the bio will mention the subject's parents and county.

And what are your sources for the two counties you mention for birth and marriage?

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 16:39 BST (UK) »
Notes....##

According to anc tree - the family arrrived about 1849 - the first two children Patrick and Margaret born in Ireland - James 1851 Quebec - Michael 1853 Oakville Village, Ontario - Mary Ann 1859 Mara - John 1861 Mara.

The obituary listed for father John gives no indciation where in Ireland he came from. Mary his wife is listed as born 1827 Leitrim Ireland.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline mpa_web

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 16:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your prompt reply.  I have accessed all of the Canadian records to no avail.  I have narratives written about John and Patrick written in Mara...so I'm pretty sure of those facts.

But for everything else, I've used the Family Search Center (online) and the results were pretty slim (what's online, anyway).  So what I have may be inaccurate. 

One birth record I could access for John was from the Ireland Catholic Parish registry (10 Apr 1828; Baptism Place--Lusmagh, Offaly, Ireland; Diocese Clonfert;  Father Andrei Flannery; Mother Brigide Barkey).  But I'm hesitant to believe that without other data points.  I have found stories about Kings County for John, Leitrim (for Mary Kavanaugh), and Limerick--for the Flannerys.

I will be working with the local Family Search Center to search for Irish microfilm...and with the Library of Congress.  But I'm trying this route to see if anyone has any pre-1800 references that would confirm or negate my information.

Thank you--any help (pointers,etc)is appreciated.

Mary

Offline mpa_web

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 16:52 BST (UK) »
Sandra--thank you for confirming what I have!  The county of Mara and the church in Brechin, Ontario has given me confirmation (data) for Patrick and his father John in Mara.

Offline mpa_web

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 16:56 BST (UK) »
Addendum:  In Canadian census materials, John was consistently listed as 3 years younger than Mary.  So if she was born in 1827, then his birthday would be closer to 1824...and not 1828.  Still...often I find that without the actual documents, people don't even remember their birthdates for censuses!!

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 16:57 BST (UK) »
Sounds as if you have already tracked down all the canadian records that may have been helpful.
Pity the obituary didn't say where in Ireland he came from but that would be to easy !!!  :-\

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 16:57 BST (UK) »
What religious denomination?
Many parishes don't have surviving early registers.
Have you looked at Irish Toolkit?
Cowban

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 16:59 BST (UK) »
The 1871 Census, Mara Ont
 - free site - I don't know if familysearch has the Canadian censuses or not, I don't think so. This site does. the search requires an exact spelling for the surname though.
https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1871/Pages/results.aspx?k=cnsSurname%3a%22flanery%22+AND+cnsGivenName%3a%22patrick%22

-----
A tree at ancestry.com I'm looking at has both parents born in Kings Co, no source given, Mary between 1823 and 1831, and John between 1825 to 1831.

----
Thank you for having researched the Canadian records first, I had to ask :)