Author Topic: Looking for Great Grandparents  (Read 435 times)

Online Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Great Grandparents
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 18:23 BST (UK) »
Re. reply 17. I would concentrate on trying to find a baptism for Patrick around 1844. It's possible that 22nd April recorded as his birthday on death record might be approximately correct (NB only 'might be'). If he was born near a memorable time like Easter, his family might have remembered that.
Cowban

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline mpa_web

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 18:26 BST (UK) »
Reply OldOhioHome

Yes--that's the book (They Came to Mara) that I'm trying to get--I do have the pages referring to Patrick and John. The information you found about Patrick is correct--I knew Frank who signed the death certificate (I believe the reference is Utney) and the town is Brechin where my grandfather lived. 

I have tracked records for the children--Ontario was called Canada West before Ontario became a province (circa 1845).  From Patrick's memory in the book mentioned above, he came with a sister from Ireland when he was 2.  They first went to Sorrel, Quebec for about 4 years and then to Trafalgar, Halton County, Canada West (Oakville Village), and then to Mara in 1856 (the years are from his memory!).

His mother's name was Kavanaugh which was shortened to Cavin...in records provided by children. I find this a lot--one of the sons (my uncle) who signed my grandmother's death certificate in 1936 didn't even know her maiden name (which was Flannery!).

Thanks for your research!

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline mpa_web

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 18:42 BST (UK) »

The book (They Came to Mara) records his birth month and year as April, 1845.

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 18:50 BST (UK) »
I didn't find a close match for Patrick in April 1845, but ancestry's indexing of the parish registers is different from findmypast.ie. and people say rootsireland.ie is the best, but there you need to pay to view even the indexed search results.  And I think the three sites collections are not identical either, they overlap a lot, but each has some the other doesn't. again rootsireland.ie is said to be the place to go.
Wait, see if you can find other Flannerys/Cavanaughs to look for (see below), then maybe pay for a 24 hour or 1 mo. sub, as an idea.

------------
This might be where everyone is getting "Kings, Co, Ireland" as a birthplace for John Flannary and Mary Cavanaugh.

start here

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:9C9H-Y39

and scroll to the bottom of the sidebar to find:

"Pedigree Resource File," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:9C9H-DTP : accessed 28 May 2019), entry for Mary Cavanaugh; file (2:2:2:MM9R-29N), submitted 29 December 2003 by gmcpeak2790465 [identity withheld for privacy].

Ancestral File Number
5LQM-B4T

Submission ID
MM9R-29N 

which is  a link to :

https://www.familysearch.org/search/tree/results#count=20&query=+subcollection_id:%222:2:2:MM9R-29N%22

when searching that file for Flannary you will come to this link.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/tree/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Aflannary~%20%2Bsubcollection_id%3A%222%3A2%3A2%3AMM9R-29N%22

(you can search it for Cavanaugh also)

It says "Kings Co" for both of them. But why?

Looking at that file shows that there were other Flannerys and Cavanaughs in Mara. Can you figure out where they came from? It's a roundabout way to work back, but it sometimes works. Works a lot better if you know for sure they are siblings of your ancestor. Where they were born in Ireland, their brother or sister was probably born.

I forgot what the reliability was of Pedigree Resource Files. They are pre-Internet LDS records. I think some came from records, and some just came from various people's research. You could probably Google it, or someone on here might remember.

That book "They Came to Mara" looked unavailable for sale, but is held by a few libraries. go to worldcat.org and put in your home locality. There were a few in the US and a few in Canada.
Cambridgeshire: Billups, Cropley; Derbyshire: Jenkinson, Gratton; Co Down: O'Rourke, Rodgers, Cunningham

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 19:07 BST (UK) »
Last thought for a while, I have to close it down here for now.

The book is available for $73 used, in Toronto
https://www.biblio.com/book/came-mara-pioneers-mara-township-circa/d/922667100

----
a couple people in this thread from 2001 had a copy of the book.

https://www.ancestry.com/boards/localities.northam.canada.ontario.oldontario/132.136/mb.ashx

I think you can access the message boards without a paid subscription. Then do some 'live people finding' to track down the people with the book.

edit: maybe a local library in Mara itself might have it. or nearby.
Cambridgeshire: Billups, Cropley; Derbyshire: Jenkinson, Gratton; Co Down: O'Rourke, Rodgers, Cunningham

Offline mpa_web

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 19:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ohio.  Yes--I have requested the Mara book on inter-library loan--the only libraries that will loan a book are public libraries and I think there is only one on the World Cat list.  But I'm not in a hurry! 

I also will be finally able to visit the local FSL here in my town (they have been closed for month...a water-pipe break or something).  They said they have access to Irish microfilm--we'll see.

I will track your suggestions...thank you so much.  I've been doing this since December...certainly the Irish family has been the most difficult.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 02 June 19 20:34 BST (UK) »
I also will be finally able to visit the local FSL here in my town (they have been closed for month...a water-pipe break or something).  They said they have access to Irish microfilm--we'll see.

The LDS no longer have a microfilm ordering service but you would probably be best to check exactly what "Irish microfilm" [microfilms?] they do hold in your local library.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mpa_web

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 03 June 19 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Aghadowey.  I have a local office that has been closed for months...but they reopen next week. A woman I talked to on the phone led me to believe that I could get microfilm for a fee and read in their office.  But I'll see.  I also am close to the Library of Congress.  I will persist!