Author Topic: Theatrical Family - Name changing after births  (Read 2401 times)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: THEATRICAL FAMILY-NAME CHANGING AFTER BIRTHS
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 09:51 BST (UK) »
Oh well.....

Offline Lorraine Katherine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 10:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Mckha489 and JenB

Hans Jorgen Hansen married Emily Harrington in 1863.

George McDonald did indeed marry Priscilla Pope in 1863 - but from the marriage banns she is from Liverpool and her father is William Pope - our Priscilla's parents are Thomas and Charlotte.

Cannot find Priscilla in 1861 - local archives have advised that if she was living in certain parts of London these censuses have been destroyed - as also can't find Robert Thrasher in 1861 but also can't find Robert in 1851 but he is yet another enigma!

Eliza could well have a stage name - but we only found the other names from ordering birth, marriage, death certificates and cross-referencing addresses and finding alternative names - a fascinating nightmare - even Percy Frederick Atkins a well known theatrical business manager found in The Stage, The Era and other newspapers and marries into the family (Percy Frederick Atkins married Louisa Thrasher in 1905) uses his wife's last name and you find him as Percy Thrasher or Percy Thresher in official documents.

We wondered if we were related to David Suchet's family - but I think our Jezards are figments of the imagination - name changes hiding from people, hiding from debts - but the family lived a middle class wealthy areas of London looking up the streets where they lived on the Charles Booth Survey.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 11:12 BST (UK) »
Alfred Pope in the 1881 census could well be James Pope as they have the same age - anything is possible with this family!

Alfred Pope could also be Alfred Jezard on Violet Alice Louise Jezard's 1890 birth certificate - he could be stepping in as 'father' - just as Alice Thrasher/Grace Courtenay uses her father Robert as the 'father' of Horace Thrasher born 1893.

Who is John Jezard 'husband' of Priscilla May Thrasher/Jezard (maiden name Pope).
Who is Ellen Jezard who is with Priscilla when she dies in 1900 - Eliza Thrasher?

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 11:17 BST (UK) »
See also http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/forum/topic9070.html for other lines of enquiry on this topic.

This thread has fuller information and shows how precarious theatre life could be for the financier and producer
http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=360100#post360100

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 11:37 BST (UK) »
What date was Violet Alice Louise born?   You say she was born Finborough Road but family weren't living there in 1891.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 12:32 BST (UK) »
What date was Violet Alice Louise born?   You say she was born Finborough Road but family weren't living there in 1891.

Violet was born in 1890 in Earls Court, Kensington. On Violet's birth certificate her mother is listed as Eliza Jezard formerly Thrasher and Eliza's husband as Alfred Jezard. However, Thrasher and Jezard are both Eliza's maiden names from her father Robert Thrasher and step-father John Jezard. We do not know who Alfred Jezard is. Violet, Eliza and Alfred are living at 109 Finborough Road, Kensington on Violet's birth certificate. We have not been able to find a marriage for Eliza and Alfred.
http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/forum/topic9070.html
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 12:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you

Violet Alice Louise Jezard
Registration Year:   1890
Registration Quarter:   Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration district:   Kensington
Born 109 Finborough Road
Also living at 109 Finborough Road is Sacillia Lovell, now also found as Cecilia Lovell living in other areas of Chelsea and Kensington but can't seem to find a suitable Cecilia Lovell on the 1891 census/1901 census, just wondered who she was, her occupation if theatrical

When Violet is baptised with her cousin Horace Thresher/Thrasher later known as Horace Courtenay in 1896 they are living with their grandmother Priscilla May Thrasher (maiden name Pope) but now known as Priscilla Jezard at 133 Finborough Road and lived there until her death in 1900 - that's when Horace and Violet must have sent to a girls boarding school in 1901 - but why Southend when they live in Kensington and why a girls boarding school for Horace.

Horace's mother Alice Thrasher later known as Grace Courtenay is living in a boarding house living on own means in the 1901 census at 13 Finborough Road - her husband-to-be Herbert Solomon is living with his family in the 1901 census but living at 13 Finborough Road by the time of their marriage in 1901 after the census - their boarding house lady being one of their wedding witnesses, Herbert's father is dead but his mother or siblings did not attend the wedding - Herbert was known as the black sheep of the family - the Solomon family don't know why, sadly the oldest family member who knew of him died before we started this research - but Herbert was Jewish and Grace was Christian with an illegitimate child.

When we asked the Earls Of Devon, Lord Courtenay about Horace Courtenay they asked 'is he one of ours' as an Earl who died in January 1891 was known to have several illegitimate children, the next Earl who was very religious destroyed papers on these children - but Horace was born in January 1893 - Grace couldn't have registered his birth that late could she?

Why is Violet not with the family in the 1891 census when they are known as Torplow/Triplow.

Horace died in 1959 and his wife Adelaide died in 1987 - and that is when a family member who had been sworn to secrecy told us that Horace had said when his wife died his secret could be told that his father 'was an illustrious member of society, a person of considerable note' - Horace had also wanted to tell his son towards the end of his life but unfortunately died suddenly taking this family secret with him

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 20:11 BST (UK) »
I actually meant Violet's full birthdate, not just the year 1890.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Theatrical Family - Name changing after births
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 May 19 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Annette

Thank you, found the birth certificate now - Violet's birthday is 30 October 1890.