Author Topic: Lookup Request: Paul and Ellenton / Eltenton in Guernsey c 1800  (Read 1721 times)

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup Request: Paul and Ellenton / Eltenton in Guernsey c 1800
« on: Tuesday 28 May 19 19:29 BST (UK) »
My GG grandfather - George Henry Paul was born on Guernsey c 1801 and he married my GG grandmother Mary Eltenton (or Ettenton / Ellenton), who was also born on Guernsey c 1806. 

I do not know their marriage date, but first son (George) was born in c 1828 on Jersey - so they moved islands either prior to, or soon after, their marriage (assumption).  Once they arrived in Jersey, they are relatively easy to trace, and Jersey records are excellent.

I would really appreciate any information on their births in Guernsey, and possibly their marriage.  My grandfather always said his ancestors were Huguenots, but whether that can ever been confirmed may be out of reach.

Thanks

Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Request: Paul and Ellenton / Eltenton in Guernsey c 1800
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 May 19 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hello
As you know Guernsey records aren't on line,but Jersey are.
They seem to indicate that George was George Holland Paul not Henry
Here are all the burials for Jersey

PAUL

17 May 1815 Toussaint (fr)
28 Mar 1837 Elizabeth (Daughter Of George And Lydia)
23 Sep 1839 James (Son Of James And Elizabeth) (10)
27 Dec 1839 Emma Holland (Widow Of John) (82)
09 Jul 1841 William (Son Of John And Ann Charlotte)
06 Dec 1841 James (57)
26 Nov 1861 George Holland Approx birth year = 1803
13 Aug 1863 John Approx birth year = 1799
09 Feb 1915 Mary Ann Eltenton Approx birth year = 1831
22 Jun 1928 Albert Edward Approx birth year = 1872
04 Apr 1940 Rosina Maria Approx birth year = 1856

Could the two high lighted be related?
That would make George's parents John Paul and Emma Holland.

Lucy Ann Mary Paul's baptism of Sept 13 1840 gives her uncle John Paul as godfather.
Here's an index of baptisms www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/St_Helier_new_baptisms_-_P
and the images seem to be on Ancestry.

Ciderdrinker

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 May 19 15:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks ciderdrinker! 

Yes, he was George 'Holland' Paul, not Henry - my mistake - so there had to be a Holland somewhere in the line, and it makes sense that it would be his mother.

I will definitely follow up on what you have given me and see where it leads.  And again, thank you for taking the time to help out.  I so appreciate it.

Ms_C

1. Paul - Guernsey 1801

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 May 19 18:40 BST (UK) »
Update:

Located marriage cert. (Pallot`s) for Emma Holland and John Paul, 1793, St George, Hanover Square (so not Channel Islands).  If correct, she is 36 presuming birth date is 1757 (based on age 82 noted at burial).  I can also locate at least 3 children, including one son John which would tie into him being the Uncle John on Lucy`s baptismal cert.  However, no record of George Holland Paul c. 1803 - and he was def. born on Guernsey - plus she would be 46 by then, so that`s pushing it a bit.

The other puzzling issue is that all the other children`s births are registered in Middlesex, England.  Although, John does return to Jersey in 1861, where he later dies aged 64 (apparently having married a young lady, Mary Ainsworth, aged 35!).

However, the interesting fact is that John Paul (the son) is a printer, as is his brother Peter, and that was also George Holland Paul`s occupation - Printer & Compositor.  So I think I`m close, but with Guernsey being so closed, it`s hard to corroborate things.

Thanks again

Ms_C

1. Paul - Guernsey 1801