Author Topic: Looking for Family and Immigration Information  (Read 3342 times)

Offline MeganWilber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for Family and Immigration Information
« on: Tuesday 03 August 04 12:54 BST (UK) »
We are trying to find out where exactly my 2 greats grandfather immigrated from.  We know it was Sweden around 1881/1882 but we would love to find out more about who the rest of his family was.

Here is the information that we do have on him...

Lawrence Benjamin Wilber (also spelled Wilbur) b. @1860-1861 in Sweden d. 12 January 1933 in Attleboro, Bristol County, Massachusetts

we know he had 2 wives, the second one was named Sara and we are pretty sure he was not married before he moved to the USA.  We have no idea what port in came in through or where in Sweden he originated from.

Also a peculiarity is that Wilber is actually English, so did he Americanize it?  He was from Sweden, every census lists list and that he spoke Swedish.  He donated land to establish a Swedish church even.
Benbow, Davis, Dickerson, Fischer, Heft, Huey, Liddell/Liddle, Majiski, Moehnke, Molnowski, Pardue, Rauch, West, Wilber.

Offline grub

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Xander
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Family and Immigration Information
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 August 04 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
Which US census do you have?
He is definitely on the 1930, which confirms your arrival date of 1882.  He also states he was naturalized.   He would have had to be in the United States 5 years before he could apply, so checking MA naturalization records may be worthwhile.  Unfortunately, he misses out on the NY Ellis Island Dates of 1892-1924. 
1920 census states he was naturalized in 1898.

Regards,
Valerie.
Bayley, Dorset, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cheshire and others.
Antrobus, Somerset/Glouster
Skelton, Heslington, Yorkshire
James, Norfolk, and London
Delasalle, London area
Gravett/Grevet, Surrey
Also searching the above in Australia

“Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MeganWilber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 August 04 07:28 BST (UK) »
I have him in the 1910, 1920, and 1930 census.  He is also listed in the 1892 Pawtucket, Rhode Island Directories and I know he was here before 1886 as that is when my great grandfather was born.  I have not been able to find him in the 1900 census.  We know he started out in Rhode Island (that is where my great grandfather was born) but no idea where he was in 1900, by 1910 he is living in Massachusetts.  In the 1910 census it says he is naturalized too, and no record of him in the 1880 census, so I am sure the date of 1881 or 1882 is correct.  The census is inconsistant in the year though.  In 1910 it says he immigrated in 1881, in 1920 it says in immigrated in 1882 and was naturalized in 1898, and in 1930 it says he immigrated in 1882.

Oh the 1910, 1920, and 1930 censuses are all for Attleboro, Bristol County, Massachusetts.  Before that we know he lived in Pawtucket, Providence County, Rhode Island.

Thanks for your help!
Benbow, Davis, Dickerson, Fischer, Heft, Huey, Liddell/Liddle, Majiski, Moehnke, Molnowski, Pardue, Rauch, West, Wilber.

Offline grub

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Xander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 August 04 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

1900 US census, Pawtucket, Providence, Rhode Island
Series T623, Film/Roll 1512, Book 1, Page 164a/Sheet 16B, Ward 5, ED 160.

WILBUR
Lawrence, Head, b Oct 1866,(sic) 39, b Sweden
Lena S., wife, b Jan 1854, 46, b Sweden
William, son, b Oct 1885, 14, Rhode Island
Alfred C., son, b May 1887, 13, Rhode Island
Lena A., dau, b Dec 1888, 11, Rhode Island
Jennie L., dau, b Aug 1890, 9, Rhode Island

Lawrence & Lena had been married 8 years.
She was the mother of 2, one (1) living.
Both of their parents were born in Sweden.
Both state their year of arrival in the US as 1882, and # of years in US as 18.  He is Naturalized.
He was a farm hand, and could read, write and speak English.
For all of the children, both parents born in Sweden, and they are scholars.

Hope this helps
Valerie

Bayley, Dorset, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cheshire and others.
Antrobus, Somerset/Glouster
Skelton, Heslington, Yorkshire
James, Norfolk, and London
Delasalle, London area
Gravett/Grevet, Surrey
Also searching the above in Australia

“Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MeganWilber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 August 04 19:42 BST (UK) »
Oh thanks Valerie that was REALLY helpful!  I had looked and looked through the census.  I guess I was just tired and missed it!  Now we can better look for immigration and other records.  He has been a hard one to pin down (I think we all have a few of those) my dad looked for information for years but found very little.

Thanks for the help!

Megan