Author Topic: Joseph green and Ann Allen  (Read 2848 times)

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph green and Ann Allen
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 30 May 19 19:37 BST (UK) »
The problem is that there is no indication at all that those trees are correct.  People often make mistakes which are copied over and over again.
The original Meriden records, which you can browse for yourself, don't seem to support these 'facts'.
Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph green and Ann Allen
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 15 June 19 03:21 BST (UK) »
KIrsty, reply #4. You have burial of Ann Green at St Oswald, Winwick, and what looks like Lancaster on an excerpt from your family tree.
1. Winwick is not near Lancaster. It's in Lancashire, in the south-west of the county; Lancaster is towards the north of Lancashire.
2. I was puzzled why you think Ann might have died in Lancashire. I looked at entries in Winwick parish registers for  Green surname around that time on Lancashire Online Parish Clerks website.
Burial St. St. Oswald, Winwick,  9th June 1823
Ann Green, widow, age 67; abode Croft

I viewed other Green entries and noticed at least 3 families with surname Green whose abode was Croft, including Thomas and Ann who had a daughter, Ann baptised 1803. A Thomas Green married Ann Burchell at St. Oswald's in 1780. That Ann might well have been in her 60s in 1823 and be the Ann Green who was buried there on 9th June.  A Thomas Green, aged 63, abode Croft was buried at St. Oswald 1819. He may have been Ann's husband.
Other Green men in the parish and nearby had wives called Ann.
I see that Ladyhawk has found a burial for Ann Green in 1832 in  Meriden which is far more likely to be correct than the one in Winwick. (Reply #14)
Cowban