Author Topic: James Stuart CB of Gracehill  (Read 20716 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Stuart CB of Gracehill
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 20 July 19 15:56 BST (UK) »
Belfast Mercury, 6th Apr 1852:
COLONEL STUART, OF THE EAST INDIA COMPANY'S SERVICE.
The following, which we copy from an Indian journal, The Mofussilite, must be gratifying to the friends and relatives of Colonel Stuart, in Belfast and elsewhere.  The colonel is a native of the County Antrim, and brother of the late Henry Irwin Stuart, Esq., of Gracehill, well known here for many  years as Treasurer of that county.  About forty years ago he entered the service of the East India Company.  He has since held high official position in our Eastern dominions, and is at present Military Secretary to the Government of India.  He is not, we understand, about to return to England, as stated in The Overland Athenaeum, but has gone to Australia for the benefit of his health....

Henry Irwin Stuart didn’t seem to leave a particularly useful will, though it does mention the sister Caroline (who married ____ Irwin):

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C399-51L7?i=219&cat=234514

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 20 July 19 17:00 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately this doesn't state who Margaret's parents were:

Book 612 / Page 100 / Number 416973

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSHS-B9GC-K?i=347&cat=185720
Memorial of a settlement dated 14th Apr 1809 between Daniel McCay of Mosside, Co Antrim, on the one part; Samuel Allen the elder and Samuel Allen the younger, both of Lisconan, Co Antrim, James Stuart of Grace Hill, Co Antrim, and Henry Irwin Stuart Esq his son, of the other part.  Whereby for settling and assuring a jointure on Margaret McCay, the wife of said Daniel McCay, Daniel McCay granted to said Allens and Stewarts the land of Mosside otherwise Drumadan, including the bog next to John McCay’s farm, as well as the lands of Moycreag and Creag (except the parts sold to Hugh McCay), plus various profits out of other lands, to hold in trust for purposes therein mentioned.  Witnessed by Rev. Charles Douglas of Dervock and John McCay of Mosside.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 20 July 19 18:17 BST (UK) »
The newspaper article about the attack in Agra is what's giving me trouble. It clearly says Maj-Gen Stuart of Gracehill. That's my James Stuart. But it says his son, Captain Stuart, and that one of his grandchildren is safe but the youngest was killed with his mother. However, it looks like this Captain Stuart is William M Stewart from Scotland and the son of William-Murray Stewart. So why would the article say Captain Stuart is the son of Maj-gen Stuart? My poor brain.

Having consulted Burke's (the "Stewarts of Ardvorlich"), I'm coming to the conclusion that the article is wrong, and whoever wrote it was getting their Major Stuarts mixed up.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 20 July 19 18:24 BST (UK) »
Belfast Commercial Chronicle, 7th Sep 1836:
On the 5th inst.. by the Rev. W. Kerr, R.C.C., Mr. James Irwin Stuart, son of James Irwin Stuart, Esq. of Gracehill, county Antrim, to Elizabeth, second daughter of Mr. James Duffy, Trafalgar-street, Belfast.

Northern Whig, 12th Oct 1839:
Lieutenant-Colonel James Stuart, who has succeeded Sir William Casement, as Military Secretary to the Government of India, is the youngest son of the late James Stuart, Esq., of Gracehill, in this County.  This high situation is a second time filled by a native of the County of Antrim. --- News-Letter.

Warder and Dublin Weekly Mail, 20th Sep 1842:
On the 2d instant, at Armoy Church, county Antrim, Mr. Henry Campbell, to Margaret, daughter of the late Henry Irwin Stewart, Esq., of Gracehill House.

Belfast Commercial Chronicle, 19th March 1845:
On the 17th instant, at Moyaver, the residence of B. G. Brooke, Esq. Frances, eldest daughter of the late James Stuart, Esq. of Gracehill, in this county.

Belfast Newsletter, 20th Jul 1859:
On the morning of the 19th inst., at his residence, Gracehill, near Ballymoney, Major-General James Stuart, C.B., for many years Secretary to the Government of India, Military Department.

Coleraine Chronicle, 30th Jul 1859:
NOTICE.  All persons having claims against the estate of the late Major Gen. JAMES STUART, C. B., of Gracehill, will please to furnish same to B. G. Brooke, Esq., Dungannon, one of his executors, on or before Saturday, the 13th of August next.

Belfast Newsletter, 13th Sep 1860:
TO BE LET, UNFURNISHED, AND IMMEDIATE possession give, GRACEHILL HOUSE, the residence of the late Major-General STUART, with lawn, pleasure grounds, and large walled garden.  The house is in good repair, containing drawing room, dining room, and study; seven bedrooms, two dressing-rooms, and bathroom; two water-closets; everything needful in the lower parts of the house; excellent stables and two coach-houses; suitable out-offices and lock-up yard.  Rent moderate.
For particulars, apply to C. G. STUART, Esq. Ballyhivistock; B. G. BROOKE, Esq., Dungannon; J. CRAMSIE, Esq., solicitor, Ballymoney.

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 21 July 19 00:59 BST (UK) »
Do you know where the cousin Major General James Stuart lived - just so I can avoid getting confused.  He wasn't of Gracehill too I take it?

I believe he was originally from Davistock
 That's where he was buried. At the time of his death in 1876 he was  living at University Terrace in Belfast.
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 21 July 19 03:21 BST (UK) »
On the 5th inst.. by the Rev. W. Kerr, R.C.C., Mr. James Irwin Stuart, son of James Irwin Stuart, Esq. of Gracehill, county Antrim, to Elizabeth, second daughter of Mr. James Duffy, Trafalgar-street, Belfast.

This is interesting. Is this a cousin of my James Stuart or is it supposed to be my James? I've never seen the Irwin part tacked on to the named so it's interesting.
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 21 July 19 10:23 BST (UK) »

This is interesting. Is this a cousin of my James Stuart or is it supposed to be my James? I've never seen the Irwin part tacked on to the named so it's interesting.

Yes, I also wondered if the father is supposed to be "Henry Irwin Stuart" except he died in February that year so you'd expect him to be "the late".

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 21 July 19 17:10 BST (UK) »
Coincidentally just came across a distant link of my own to these Stuarts:

Belfast Newsletter, 13th Jan 1872:
MOORE - STUART - Jan. 11, at Derrykeighan Church, by the Rev. Andrew Creery, uncle of the bride, assisted by the Rev. Hartley Hudson, Rector of the parish, James Stewart Moore, Esq., of Ballydivity, to Elizabeth Frances Jane, second daughter of Charles George Stuart, Esq., J.P., of Ballyhivistock.

James Stewart-Moore was my 4th cousin 5x removed.

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 22 July 19 17:52 BST (UK) »
I've got that line in my tree. Elizabeth Frances Jane Stuart was my 2nd cousin 4x removed.

Any tips on how I can find more children of James Stuart CB? My 2nd great-grandfather's marriage announcement has him as the eldest son of James Stuart which tells me there's at least one other son out there somewhere.
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)