Author Topic: Tour of Switzerland et alia in 1932  (Read 258 times)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Tour of Switzerland et alia in 1932
« on: Wednesday 29 May 19 21:56 BST (UK) »
In 1932 George Lunn was offering a 17 day tour of the Swiss & Italian lakes for £14.2.6d. starting with a train journey to Basel and ending up several days later in Nice ready for a return to London  by train.
Can anyone advise me of where I might access contemporary timetables and indeed any details of such a tour. Thanks, Toby.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tour of Switzerland et alia in 1932
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 May 19 08:32 BST (UK) »
You could try asking the current publishers of the Thomas Cook timetables if they have an archive or could direct you further https://www.europeanrailtimetable.eu/

Lunn Poly has ended up as part of TUI, so maybe they have an archive?

Let us know how you get on.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 May 19 17:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks pb-devon. I started with TUI but clearly an enormous business and no obvious route towards any archives. So I trawled about and have found that there are items in the Nottinghamshire Archive Office under
DD/2243/52/5;  /6; /67 and the year is 1927 & 1928 so I think there will be something there, but it will have to wait for now. Thanks anyway for getting me pointed in the right direction. T

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 May 19 18:37 BST (UK) »
I have a reprint of Bradshaws Continental book dated 1913. I cannot say what changes would have occurred post WW1.  There are various routes, but hereís one:
London Victoria dep 11.00 to Dover; Calais dep 14.46 through carriage to Basel arr 05.43 next morning.
Nice 07.02, via Marseilles and Paris arr 04.55; dep 09.55 via Calais arr Charing Cross 17.10.

This gives you an idea of what was involved. I did Basel to London in 1964 via Harwich, leaving in the evening and getting to London the following day - it seemed to go on forever, and Iím a rail enthusiast!

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 May 19 19:11 BST (UK) »
Excellent. All helps to build up a picture. I accept your comment about post WW1 but think that timings would be similar. Those timings also seem to fit in nicely with other details. I think that the two travellers would have been driven up to London from Swindon starting early to get to Victoria mid  morning. Perhaps the Golden Arrow was stage 1.
I share your comments about what is enough in length of journey. I did Victoria to Sestri Levante once. But I suppose that is peanuts compared with the Trans Siberian.
Thanks T

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 May 19 19:42 BST (UK) »
Ahh, the Golden Arrow. In the early 1950s (when I was very young!) my house had a view of the line out of Victoria and a highlight was seeing the GA pass with itís pullman coaches.

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 May 19 10:35 BST (UK) »
Delving a little, I find that Sir Henry Lunn founded the travel company of that name. He came from Horncastle, Lincs. I wonder if this site would more appropriately be moved to Lincolnshire or the adjoining couny of Nottinghamshire where some Lunn records are kept. T